Youtube TV shows loader forever

I am not trying to block any Youtube ads. I just signed up for Youtub tv and encountered some weird behavior. Checking my logs I was not blocking anything but things would still not load. I ended up removing all my block lists as well as disabling pi hole. As long as I have pi hole set as my DNS, videos fail to load regardless of the fact nothing is blocked. As soon as i set the DNS to 1.1.1.1 everything works fine.

Expected Behaviour:

Youtube TV loads and plays TV on LG OLED

Actual Behaviour:

Youtube TV shows loader forever

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/9utjri8i6w

How do I determine what domain an ad is coming from?

I'm not sure how this link helps, or am I missing something? Like I mentioned in my post I am not trying to block any ads for Youtube TV, I simply want the service to work.

I checked all my query logs and in fact deleted all my block lists and whitelists and the problem still occurs. The fact that the DNS requests are routed through pi hole seems to be causing issues. The debug token link added was taken with no block lists with nothing blocked.

The debug log provided shows that Pi-hole is not resolving anything:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✗] Failed to resolve  via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✗] Failed to resolve  via Pi-hole (192.168.1.249)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 142.250.72.206 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

It also shows that no queries are going to Pi-hole:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Pi-hole log
-rw-r--r-- 1 pihole pihole 933 Nov 27 22:42 /var/log/pihole.log
   -----head of pihole.log------
   Nov 27 22:42:08 dnsmasq[3050]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: started, version pi-hole-2.81 cachesize 10000
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-UBus no-i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify dumpfile
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: DNSSEC validation enabled
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: configured with trust anchor for <root> keytag 20326
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: using only locally-known addresses for domain use-application-dns.net
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: using nameserver 1.0.0.1#53
   Nov 27 22:42:09 dnsmasq[11548]: using nameserver 1.1.1.1#53
   Nov 27 22:42:10 dnsmasq[11548]: read /etc/hosts - 293 addresses
   Nov 27 22:42:10 dnsmasq[11548]: failed to load names from /etc/pihole/custom.list: No such file or directory
   Nov 27 22:42:10 dnsmasq[11548]: read /etc/pihole/local.list - 2 addresses

I would expect that the clients have no ability to resolve any names if they are ointed to 192.168.1.249 as their DNS server. Are you running any firewalls? Have you run pihole -r and attempted a repair?

ahhh hmm i might have cleared the logs before i generated it. lemme recreate it after trying a repair.

`
[i] FTL Checks...

[✓] Detected ARM-hf architecture (armv7+)
[i] Checking for existing FTL binary...
[i] Downloading and Installing FTL...curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
[✗] Downloading and Installing FTL
Error: URL https://github.com/pi-hole/ftl/releases/latest/download/pihole-FTL-arm-linux-gnueabihf not found
[✗] FTL Engine not installed
`
the repair seems to fail during install phase

Run pihole -up to pull in the latest changes. We did a release today.

1 Like

Ah, I figured out what was going on when collecting logs again. Previously i was grep-ing for blocked and black listed requests. Was just doinga tail this time and reading. Noticed a bunch of url's were being resolved by my /etc/hosts file. I guess some script added add those in and I never noticed. Removed those and things are working as expected.

edit: realized the hosts file entry's seem to be left over from an older version of pi hole since most things were migrated to the block list properly.

I guess feature request is to log host file resolutions in a diff color too to make debugging a bit easier

:heart: thanks for all the help guys

tldr; checks hosts file in addition to gravity/blocklist configurations

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.