YouTube script seems to be working very well

Yes, I took your script and just added the IPv6 pieces from this reply here:

Could it be the case that my ForceIP is actually directing to a video server?

The IPs are video and ads. What the hosts file does is prevent jumping to an IP where an "ad gun" is likely to be waiting for you to arrive. If you are seeing those IPs being blocked, then something messed up somewhere. Try cleaning out the hosts.youtube file and starting over.

I don't know how the IPv6 stuff in that comment is working, I have something else similar in the works.

Thanks! When can we expect your IPv6 solution, if it's okay to ask? I'm running a DS, so IPv4-only will not really block everything. :frowning:

EDIT: Okay, this is embarrassing. I found the issue. It was a blocklist that was colliding actually. I deleted the list and reinstalled your script with the IPv6 extensions and it's working fine. :slight_smile:

Very soon. I don't want to pour too much time into this as it should be easy for YT to swat this down.

The same will work on 5.0? I want to update to 5.0 today and the procedure would be the same to install/use this?

Also someone could comment on how this will affect the performance of the lookup if used on a RPi 3B?
I have a lot of blaclisted hosts and a full gravity update blocks the RPi for 2-3 minutes... I know this just only reloads the dns, but I don't know how an RPi can handle this.

Thanks!

It still works on 5.0 I can confirm. Just upgraded from 4.3 to 5.0 on my RPI 3B. 5.0 is so much quicker compared to 4.3, amazing. I use the RPI 3B as secondary DNS. I will upgrade my primary RPI 2B somewhere this week if no major bugs are found. Both RPI's are running this really nice youtube script.

@grublets We're going to ask people to use your GitLab issues to discuss this customization. Discourse is not good for monothreads and multiple topics.

1 Like

@DanSchaper Fantastic idea, thanks. I'm already too spread out as it is, I'll do the same thing in the Reddit post. Real Work suffers.

1 Like

Please use Issues · grub / YouTube updater for Pi-hole · GitLab for further discussion on this topic.