Yourtube ads this weekend

Hi there. has anyone else experienced youtube ads this weekend not being blocked?
I tried everything I could think of with pi-hole and nothing worked.
We now get all the ads on our smart tv's and phone apps.

Expected Behaviour:

youtube ads being blocked.

Actual Behaviour:

ads now appearing in youtube on smart tv and phone app.

Debug Token:

xgiagtma9b

thank you

one more thing I noticed in the logs. It looks like the video and the ad come from the same fqdn now.

That's what YouTube is moving to. They are owned by a company that makes most of their revenue from advertisements, so they want their advertisements to get through. This is one of the ways they are trying to foil ad blockers.

I figured as much. Very sad. The only thing I have the works is the web browser :frowning:
I'll keep fighting the good fight. I was hoping there might be something wrong with configuration.

thanks

YouTube would be quite happy if you subscribe to their Premium service, where for a mere $11.99 USD they will not show you the ads. Even more revenue for them.

hahaha, I looked at the red service. Its more expensive than netflix LOL.

do you guys think there will be anything that can be done withing pi-hole to combat this in the future?

No. Pi-Hole is a domain blocker, and when the same domain serves both content and ads, it becomes difficult to block the ads and not block the content.

The new regex filters feature in V4 offers some opportunities.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/regex/overview/

ok, thanks, will investigate

pfBlockerNG on pfSense stop like 99% of the Youtube ads :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.