(Yet another) stops blocking ads, with a twist

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-hole responds to DNS requests

Actual Behaviour:

Came home and noticed ads, logged into pi-hole, all counters except "Domains on Blocklist" were zero. nslookup www.sgi.com from my windows hosts resulted in timeout errors. Logged into pi-hole, system was responsive but not responding to DNS queries. I wanted it up ASAP so I rebooted, all is well now. The debug token below is after a reboot, I'm sure that makes the info less useful. Next time it happens I'll run the debug command before rebooting.

What would cause it to stop responding to DNS queries, and, more importantly, how did the counters end up zero'd?

Debug Token:

x75x7nax59

There's no hints in that debug log. It sounds like somehow dnsmasq was killed though.

Too many entries on the blacklists cause my pihole to stop after a certain time as well. Probaby too much resources the limited memory on the pi can handle
Stay below 400.000/500.000 domains.
You log can be empty as around 00:00 the log is flushed to "long term"

If you're needing to blacklist so many domains, you may want to consider making your separate blocklist that gravity can parse through and process the same way it does the other ad lists.

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-make-my-own-blocklist-instead-of-adding-hundred-of-black-list-entries/7287/1

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.