Win10 not resolving

I've digged a little bit further. if I use the pihole IP as DNS in Win10 (x64, build 14393.351), there is no entry on /var/log/pihole.log, which seems to indicate, that the DNS request never arrives at the pihole box. If i change it to something other know to work (either my ISPs resolver or google or the DNS of my fritzbox, it works instantly.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
NETSH winsock reset
NETSH int ipv4 reset
NETSH int ipv6 reset

did absolutely nothing in terms of helping. I've also tested different browser, just to be sure its an OS problem (Egde, ie, FF), but i knew that beforde as a simple nslookup doesn't work.

My Router (a Fritz!Box 7490) has a DNS rebind protection, but this would also affect any other machine on my LAN, so this can't be it too.

Debug Log looks fine too, just gets no hits from any of my Win10 installs. (debug token is : tux1ksrbsj)

I can confirm this Win10 behaviour in Build 14393.321 too, same problem.

Digging even deeper, the solution isn't far away.

On my gamingbox 192.168.178.20 (just 1 physical NIC, fixed IP) it works when I completely disable the windows firewall. On the other 2 Systems (both laptops with 1x nic + 1x WLAN, DHCP) this doesnt help.

Windows 10 Pro
Build 14393.rs1_release__inmarket.161014-1755

everything works great for me.
you sure you ve set up everything correctly?

have you
set your DNS to 192.168.178.2 ??
restarted your router
disabled/enabled your network adapter?

can you see the admin control panel if you visit:
http://192.168.178.2/admin

well i dont use it on my router i use it on each device individually
my raspberry pi's ip address is 192.168.1.114

you sure its 192.168.178.2 ???
run ifconfig on your raspberry pi

oO things get worse.

after a reboot of the gamingbox it doesnt work anymore, with firewall completely off. I reactivated it and redeactivated it (followed by a reboot each) but no 192.168.178.2 times out for DNS.

I even uninstalled any Avira antivirus snakeoil things. no luck anymore.

It worked exactly once on one of 3 Boxes, as I've desribed above (doublechecked it using nslookup on cmd line). Now im completely confused. My best guess is that it has something to do with Windows firewall / network stack :rage:

well if other devices work then it must be something wrong with your windows machines.
can you reply after you solved your problem please? i would like to know why it didnt worked.

for the sake of the reboot i've even rebooted te router now. And all my windows machines. result as expected: nope.
I wont reboot my gamingbox anymore as im writing from here atm, but I did with a laptop. linux works just fine, if i boot the windows on the same machine, meeep, no dns. same for all mobiles on my LAN: no problems.

interesting that it actually DID work a short time after diabling the firewall. but only once, on one machine. Either all my windows machines here are infected somehow or windows 10 network stack is a true mess.

as i wanted to reinstall this laptop anyway i will do a clean new win10 install.

Can you ping the other hosts of your network from Win10?

sure as i said anything on my network is alright. I'm truly an experienced computer user :slight_smile:
Also, pihole has happily discarded 256 ads since last reboot, which is completly amazing.

1 Like

I don't doubt your knowledge, was just asking to be sure.
As you said, looks like the network stack is somehow messed up.

I'm using the same Windows 10 (Build 14393.351), with 2 pihole's without a problem.

2 Likes

i also don't doubt your knowledge just to let you know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

fun fact: the newly setup win10 laptop suffers the same.

next thing i will do is to reinstall raspian on my 2nd pi for a pihole only clean install.

@Spacerat do you happen to have another router you can try just to rule out Fritz!box as the problem? I recall several users having issues with them.

Thx for the input. I'll setup pihole on my second raspi tonight, if this doesnt help, we have loads of different routers in the office, for a next step in testing.

What I think it's strange is that only Windows is concerned and I don't see why a router should treat different OS differently, so I guess its something within windows or the pihole install.

Well hopefully, with trying a different router, we can quickly determine what's causing the issue and go from there. Please let us know what happens.

Hi folks

I've just setup a raspi (3 Model B) using NOOBS. Just installed and updated raspian, then installed Pihole, nothing else. Exact steps were:

ssh pi@192.168.178.41 (DHCP)
sudo su -
apt update && apt dist-upgrade
reboot
ssh pi@192.168.178.41
sudo su -
curl -L https://install.pi-hole.net | bash
--> config: fixed ip 192.168.178.5, only IPv4, google dns
reboot

C:\Users\tom>nslookup www.nyt.com 192.168.178.5
Server: 0000mps.webpreview.dsl.net
Address: 192.168.178.5

Nicht autorisierende Antwort:
Name: prod.nytimes.map.fastlylb.net
Address: 151.101.61.164
Aliases: www.nyt.com
www.nytimes.com
nytimes.map.fastly.net

BOOM :slight_smile: everything works like a charm. yay.

So it must have to do something with my other raspi install.

i think I've tracked the problem down. I was runnung teamviewerd on the other raspi. I've disabled the daemon on the old raspi and now the old one is working fine for all devices including win10 :sunny:

interesting that this struggling daemon has only affected windows machines. which also had teamviewer installed. :scream:

my conclusion: teamviewer is generally a bad idea.

didnt knew that teamviewer run on linux aswell
have you tryed vnc viewer?

now i've reenabled teamviewerd, just for fun. an anything works too. it seems completely magic and random.

@hupo, yerah for sure. If you're alot on windows and have to access different platforms, I'd recommend to take a look at mobaXterm

it handles from xdmcp to mosh any logins. something like putty on speed :slight_smile:

yeah something like putty with the difference that putty is for free.
i am fine with putty/winscp.