Will DoH & Pi-Hole Still Work With A Recursive DNS Server Setup

If I follow the instructions from this YouTube video, You're running Pi-Hole wrong! Setting up your own Recursive DNS Server! You're running Pi-Hole wrong! Setting up your own Recursive DNS Server! - YouTube

Can I still use DoH with Cloudflare as well as Unbound Recursive DNS Server 127.0.0.1:5335

The question somehow makes no sense. The idea of your own Unbound resolver is to become completely independent from any provider (such as Cloudflare). So no single entity could collect your browsing habits.

When you mix both, then Cloudflare will still get a lot of information, effectively rendering the Unbound solution useless. I haven't watched the linked video, I've just looked at the title (I don't have speakers right now).

This is also what the first paragraph in unbound - Pi-hole documentation is about.

@DL6ER So what you are saying is unbound is more secure than Cloudflare as it's not a third party DNS resolver?

There is a section for Cloudflare to work with 127.0.0.1:5335

Also if I add ::1#5353 to pi-hole after configuring unbound will that work as well?

Thanks

See jfb's answer here
https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/ad3wu1/unbound_cloudflared_on_same_pihole_istance/eddq42n/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

Thanks. This post over there summarizes it nicely.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.