Why does this website won't load when use with Pi-hole?

The issue I am facing:
Hello. So currently I am trying to visit a specific website but however the website won't load. I suspected it has something to do with the IPv6 return NODATA-IPv6 but the IPv4 does return a valid IP. As I research deeper about IPv6, apparently both A and AAAA queries can be resolved over IPv4 DNS. So I don't think that I didn't use any IPv6 DNS resolver should be an issue. So I am not quite sure what to do.

To visit this website I need to use another DNS resolver than my own Pi-Hole.

I did a nslookup test on my laptop and it does give the correct IP.

nslookup

Tail pihole.log

tail

Directly without going through Tailscale

without tailscale

Details about my system:
Pi-hole is hosted in a docker container and currently using Cloudflare DOH as the upstream resolver as port 53 is blocked. Using Docker image from this (GitHub - aazam476/pihole-doh: A docker made to install Pi-Hole and Cloudflared (for DoH).)

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Just added a few adlists

From your outputs, it appears Pi-hole is correctly resolving the domain you have requested.

This would infer that the problem is outside of Pi-hole. But, you can use these tools to determine if Pi-hole is blocking any domains that are needed to access your desired content:

Indeed a lot of sites dont have IPv6 AAAA DNS records:

$ nslookup -type=A elearning.unimap.edu.my
Server:         10.0.0.1
Address:        10.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   elearning.unimap.edu.my
Address: 103.86.130.120
$ nslookup -type=AAAA elearning.unimap.edu.my
Server:         10.0.0.1
Address:        10.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find elearning.unimap.edu.my: No answer

And domain names can be resolved to IPv4 addresses via IPv6 DNS and vice versa.

Have you tried on another device/OS?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.