Why do I keep seeing Ads, been trying to set Pi-Hole for 10 hours now

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

not seeing ads across all devices

Actual Behaviour:

when using the RaspberryPi itself I dont see any ads, but when I use any other device (although it says they are connected to Pi-Hole in the Network.
Static DNS has been set in the router to 192.162.2.105
Setting the DNS Manually on windows seems to fix the problem, but I also want other devices to block ads.
I have been at it the whole day trying to fix it, Pi-Hole is my first project on RaspberryPi

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/99sipplkn2

Welcome to the Pi-hole community, Jubran_Makhouly. :slight_smile:

Pi-hole requires to be accessible by a stable IP address, which does not seem to be the case for IPv6 from your debug log:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] 08.185.87.110.liveadvert.com is :: via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve 08.185.87.110.liveadvert.com via Pi-hole (2003:<redacted>)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 2a00:1450:4001:808::200e via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

Consider using a stable ULA address instead, see Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole.

Your debug log shows a ULA already being available on your network.

In addition, you have connected your RPi via WiFi (wlan0) right now.
If your RPi is equipped with both WiFi and LAN, consider connecting via LAN (eth0) instead. A LAN connection is more reliable than a WiFi one and offers better latency as well.

You can find out about the current address by running the following command on your Pi-hole machine:

ip -6 address show

Look for addresses starting with your fd67:.. ULA, note down the one for your preferred interface (wlan0 or eth0), and then reconfigure your Pi-hole by running:

pihole -r

and choose Reconfigure.

As you are new to RPi and Pi-hole, it might be a good idea to switch off IPv6 in your router altogether, run Pi-hole with IPv4 for a while and get familiar with it.

You can always switch it back on after you have familarised yourself with Pi-hole and did a bit of background research on IPv6, which comes with its own problems and limitations.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I just did the following
1.enabled ULA in the router settings
2.opened a new Terminal and wrote this code sudo nano etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
3.changed the ipv6 to the ULA IP that I just enabled on the router (fd67...)
4.then ran pihole - g
I am still facing the same problem
I will use eth0 in the future thank you for the tip
I am currently using speed port b which does not support disabling ipv6

This sequence of steps is not what I recommended, and also, I've informed you that ULA was already enabled on your network.

Please try following my suggestions as posted above.

thank you for the reply, I tried today again setting it and following your recommendations, ip -6 address shows now

2- (eth0) inet6 2003:c6...
R inet6 fd67:...
dr inet6 2003:... (slighty different than 2)
ic inet6 fe80...

after pihole -r, i reconfigured and I did reset everything, and it did not change anything, I reinstalled the OS and did the whole process again, and still blocking only throught ipv4.

if i buy a new WiFi router and connect it to the SpeedPort and then disabled the ipv6 on the new router, then connect the router to the RPi would it solve the problem?
thank you

I wouldn't recommend to buy new hardware before you haven't fully analysed and understood your current issues.

If you'd like me to assist with that by taking a look at your current progress with IPv6, please post a new debug token. :wink:

I really appreciate your help, here is a new debug token :slight_smile:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/5bmqtgu0s6

Your Pi-hole now has IPv6 connectivity:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] ads197.hpg.com.br is :: via localhost (::1)
[✓] ads197.hpg.com.br is :: via Pi-hole (fd67:<redacted>)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 2a00:1450:4001:81b::200e via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)
This is also supported by your recent statistics, which show your Pi-hole to have received a lot more queries from more IP addresses (clients) than before:

Before:

Imported 2000 queries from the long-term database
  -> Total DNS queries: 2000
  -> Cached DNS queries: 302
  -> Forwarded DNS queries: 1303
  -> Exactly blocked DNS queries: 393
  -> Unknown DNS queries: 2
  -> Unique domains: 292
  -> Unique clients: 11
  -> Known forward destinations: 8

Now:

Imported 18278 queries from the long-term database
  -> Total DNS queries: 18278
  -> Cached DNS queries: 2512
  -> Forwarded DNS queries: 10876
  -> Exactly blocked DNS queries: 4871
  -> Unknown DNS queries: 19
  -> Unique domains: 1521
  -> Unique clients: 34
  -> Known forward destinations: 11

From a technical perspective, Pi-hole seems to be fully operative.

Would you have an example of a site that escaped ad-blocking for you?

|A|gcdsdk.appsflyer.com
p200300c6c72151625492df0517e6aa96.dip0.t-ipconnect.de
OK (forwarded)
INSECURE|IP (50.4ms)|

this as an example when opening apps on my Android device
or this is normal behavior and I should just put it on my block list ? :smile:

As long as you are seeing that request in Pi-hole's Query Log, that means it is not bypassing Pi-hole.
It also means it could be filtered by Pi-hole, but currently doesn't seem to be on any of your blocking lists.

You can either try to single out the domains, where the following FAQ post might be helpful:

Or you could try to pick some additional blocklists that better match your surfing habits. Have a search on the forums, there are several topics here that centre about general and special interest blocklists, e.g. Best blacklists.

thanks you helped me solve all my problems :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.