Whitelisting Facebook

Hi,

While I'm happy to block Facebook adverts, I need to continue with Facebook... as a newbie author (self-published) it's an invaluable way to announce progress, blog posts and other stuff.

At present I can't reach it and despite whitelisting facebook.com (both straight and as a wildcard) I can't get it to function properly; whitelisting facebook.com works to an extent, but post don't appear and other things go wrong.

the only way I can currently access Facebook is by temporarily disabling pi-hole.

Can anyone suggest how I can restore Facebook functionality (pref without adverts)?

Thanks

James

Use these tools to determine why your desired content does not load:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but, I'll be honest ... I didn't really understand the linked article.

That said, I searched and I found this Facebook whitelist:

FB_Whitelist/FB_Whitelist.txt at master · zlatco/FB_Whitelist · GitHub

So I have a new question ... can (I add a whitelist list to pi-hole in the same way as I can add a blacklist?

James

No. But you can select and copy to your clipboard all the domains on the list your found and add them all at once in the domains tab.

1 Like

Another source is the Developer Dan Facebook adlist which covers all Facebook-related services.

This is intended for blocking these services, but it's possible to repurpose it for whitelisting by extracting the main domains and adding them as wildcard whitelist entries. This gives the list of main domains below. It would be a very broad whitelist so I would suggest you try the explicit whitelist you found and add it the way @jfb said. See how you get on with that first.

If you do wish to use the domains from the Developer Dan list then:

• Exand the list below, select all the domains and copy to the clipboard
  • In Pi-hole go to Domains in the side menu and in the Domain tab paste the clipboard into the Domain box, tick the box for wildcard and click Add to Whitelist
Facebook-related domains

(For future reference, extracted from https://www.github.developerdan.com/hosts/lists/facebook-extended.txt and parsed with below and tidied manually from there):

curl https://www.github.developerdan.com/hosts/lists/facebook-extended.txt | rev | cut -d . -f -2 | rev | uniq | sed "/^0/d"

shahed.cc
amazonaws.com
appspot.com
calibra.com
cdninstagram.com
facebook.com
facebook-hardware.com
facebookbrand.com
facebookdesktop.com
facebookmail.com
facebookvirtualassistant.com
fb.com
fbcdn.com
fbpigeon.com
fbsbx.com
fightalarms.com
giphy.com
instagram.com
messenger.com
meta.com
oculus.com
oculusvr.com
songsne.com
whatsapp.com
facebook.design
fb.me
ratul.me
akamaihd.net
edgekey.net
edgesuite.net
facebook.net
fastly.net
fbcdn.net
tfbnw.net
whatsapp.net
fb.watch

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.