Whitelist Southwest Shopping

I run into issues with PiHole each time I try to use Southwest Shopping. There are multiple domains blocked for any site that I make a purchase through, which prevents Southwest from being able to recognize the purchase and assign points for it. I usually end up turning off Pihole when I make a purchase because it's like finding a needle in a haystack figuring out which domains are actually needed for a successful purchase and which can be safely blocked.

I'm not sure there's a solution other than temporarily disabling Pihole, but I just wanted to throw this out there in case others have a better idea.

Thanks!

This is a tough one on an ad-serving site like this. Every link you click leads you further down the rabbit hole of ads. I tried that site and got the same results you are seeing - random blocks because every purchase is served through a tracker that PiHole is blocking.

If I were to use that site regularly, I would use a separate browser (so that's the only one that gets cookie-ed to death), and disable PiHole for 5 minutes or so to make the purchase. You could set that browser up so it clears cookies and site data when you close it. Brave browser is pretty good for that purpose.

A second option is to put whichever computer you are using on a public DNS instead of pointing to your PiHole while you shop. This keeps PiHole active for the rest of your network while you shop on the public DNS computer. Then shift back. You might have to clear the DNS cache and/or renew your DHCP lease to get this back on the PiHole, so that's a bit more work.

A third option is to dedicate a device to this - (perhaps a spare Pi if you have one) that you can put on a public DNS and use it's browser for shopping.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The third option is interesting, I may try that. Otherwise, I'll just turn off Pi-Hole and open a browser in Incognito and make the purchase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.