Whitelist not working for my pihole

Expected Behaviour:

whitelist domains and allow them to be used through my browsers. As well as displaying a blocked by pihole message for those not allowed

Actual Behaviour:

Whitelist changes nothing, display default browser message when it cannot reach a web address.

Debug Token:

lus9ahdsmt
and
s92xp85qx1

Additionl notes

funneling dns traffic through DNSCrypt. I can ping the sites ips but domains are blocked

What did you use to modify the whitelist? Also, do you get a block page if you go to a blocked site via HTTP (not HTTPS)?

It looks like your whitelist is working, because there's queries being made for some whitelisted sites which are correctly answered.

So its interesting. I restarted my pi and it unblocked the pages I white listed for a bit. About an hour later they're blocked again.

When the pages are blocked, what is the output of pihole -q domain and nslookup domain where domain is the blocked domain?

pi@Kodi-Pi:~ $ pihole -q coin-hive.com
::: /etc/pihole/list.0.raw.githubusercontent.com.domains (1 results)
0.0.0.0 coin-hive.com
::: /etc/pihole/list.1.mirror1.malwaredomains.com.domains (0 results)
:: /etc/pihole/list.2.sysctl.org.domains (0 results)
::: /etc/pihole/list.3.zeustracker.abuse.ch.domains (0 results)
::: /etc/pihole/list.4.s3.amazonaws.com.domains (0 results)
::: /etc/pihole/list.5.s3.amazonaws.com.domains (0 results)
::: /etc/pihole/list.6.hosts-file.net.domains (0 results)
::: /etc/pihole/list.preEventHorizon (1 results)
coin-hive.com
::: /etc/pihole/blacklist.txt does not exist

pi@Kodi-Pi:~ $ nslookup coin-hive.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: coin-hive.com
Address: 0.0.0.0

Run pihole -d for a new debug token. Have you installed Pi-hole without the web interface? Also, what is the result of those last commands but on a domain you whitelisted?

Debug token: 3xc9zat9sn

I had added coin-hive to the whitelist so it should have been on there. Its also affecting the supportxmr.com site among a few other sites on my whitelist.

If you answer all of my questions I would be able to pin down your issue better. Have you run pihole -g?

It looks like your upstreams may be blocking the domains:

Nov 17 14:47:17 dnsmasq[1446]: query[A] coin-hive.com from 192.168.1.1
Nov 17 14:47:17 dnsmasq[1446]: forwarded coin-hive.com to 127.0.0.4
Nov 17 14:47:17 dnsmasq[1446]: reply coin-hive.com is 0.0.0.0

I used the web ui to add to the whitelist.

I have not installed pi-hole without the web ui. If you don't see anything then maybe its the dnscrypt providers blocking those sites. After work I'll try and switch to a different dnscrypt provider and see if this issue persist.