Whitelist, Blacklist and query log blank. unable to edit urls

Whitelist, Blacklist and query log blank.

Expected Behaviour:

be able to edit Whitelist, Blacklist in UI

Actual Behaviour:

all 3 are blank. I even reverted to FTL Master.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/axv6grCE/

just tried a repair.
[i] Checking for existing FTL binary...
[i] Downloading and Installing FTL...curl: (6) Could not resolve host: github.com
sha1sum: pihole-FTL-armv7-linux-gnueabihf.sha1: No such file or directory
[✗] Downloading and Installing FTL
Error: Download of https://github.com/pi-hole/ftl/releases/latest/download/pihole-FTL-armv7-linux-gnueabihf failed (checksum error)
[✗] FTL Engine not installed

I fixed it.
nano /etc/resolv.conf
change 127.0.0.1 to 1.1.1.1

pihole checkout dev
tested ok
pihole checkout master

Noted in your debug log. Were you experiencing cache evictions?

CACHE_SIZE=1000000

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Pi-hole diagnosis messages
   count   last timestamp       type                  message                                                       blob1                 blob2                 blob3                 blob4                 blob5               
   ------  -------------------  --------------------  ------------------------------------------------------------  --------------------  --------------------  --------------------  --------------------  --------------------
   1       2022-08-11 16:11:31  DNSMASQ_WARN          cache size greater than 10000 may cause performance issues,                                                                                                               
                                                      and is unlikely to be useful.                                                                                                                                             

Yes under test it slows the DNS down quit a bit.
I think its the update on the cache evictions number flashing red may have something to do with it.

You had cache evictions at a cache size of 10,000. That is unusual, but it can happen.

Why did you increase your cache size by two orders of magnitude?

Please elaborate.

I was trying to find valid google video ad urls.

I wrote a program to test the URL's and it ended up being a load tester of some sort.

EG dig @192.168.1.5 r1---sn-ybc7664u.googlevideo.com; dig @192.168.1.5 r1---sn--ybc7664u.googlevideo.com; dig........

I use DNS Benchmark by Steve Gibson running under playonlinux for looking at whats going on.
I have noticed the DNS cache response time increase after a few days of testing, if you reboot the pihole its all good again. The red in the graphs.

Piholes IP
A Raspberrypi running Dnsmasq that uses all 3 piholes for lookup. If I crash a pihole or one or two fail I still have the internet working with out changing dns servers in my systems.

Hope this helps.

Domains, not URLs. Pi-hole sees domains.

If you are trying to figure out how to block YT ads with this search, you will have no success.

And, if you are going to write such a script to see if a domain exists on the internet, why route the requests through Pi-hole? Go direct to the upstream DNS server of your choice.

Opps yes looking for domains.
The project turned into a load tester before I gave up.

Going back to my original question, why is your cache size set at one million?

I have one yacy search server crawing a web site about 11000 quieres in 10 min across 3 piholes.
Note Dnsmasq spreads the load across 3 piholes.

DNS cache insertions: 28852
DNS cache evictions: 0

Crawler peaking at 1500 quieres a min

How did you settle on a cache size of one million? That's outlandishly large.

I have run a cache size of two million no problems in testing.
From memory think it used 34% of memory.
I reduced it a bit. now 27 %.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.