Weird characters in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

When attempting to run pihole -g, I see the following error.
/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf: line 1: IPV_AEDRESS=192.168.p.204/24: No such file or directory

(yes, that is a copy and paste, those weird characters are on there).

When I look at the setupVars.conf file, the attached file is what I see. Any idea what's causing this? I tried pihole -r (both the rapair and the reconfigure options) and it didn't solve the problem (same weird charcters).

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/412kT8P1/

The same file corruption is visible in your debug log.

Try running pihole -r with Repair, or if that wouldn't work with Reconfigure.

Note that file system corruption may occur during a power loss (e.g. because of an outage or if you just pull the plug on your Pi-hole host machine) or in under voltage situtations, or because your sd card is wearing out.

You could check your logs for recent occurences of under-voltages:

zgrep -ni “voltage” /var/log/syslog*

Make sure you power your RPi using a quality PSU and cable.

Thanks. The pihole -r (Repair and Reconfigure) didn't work. I'm not totally invested in thus setup, I'll just reimage the card and start over.

What is the best way to shut down a PI nicely?

sudo shutdown now

But, you may not need to be too nice to this one. Given that you may have a bad SD card, you might consider replacing the SD card with a new one and give up on your current card.

1 Like

Thanks @jfb. I'm having some weird things happening, and I think the SD may be pooched.

Appreciate your help.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.