WeChat Stickers: Strange problem; Cannot load stickers even when blocking is disabled in pihole

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Pixel 6a and Pixel 4a running Wechat cannot load stickers properly when app is open on Android 13. When Wifi is off and mobile data is on, the stickers load properly.

While on wifi, the stickers do not load, just get the spinning icon as show in this screenshot.
Setup is Opnsense > Unifi AC Lite access point, with Pihole set as DNS server.

Actual Behaviour:

Stickers in wechat fail to load. Even when I disable blocking for 5 minutes, the stickers are not loading.

AAAA sgshort.wechat.com Pixel-6a.home OK (answered by dns.google#53) NODATA (13.1ms)

AAAA sglong.wechat.com Pixel-6a.home OK (answered by dns.google#53) NODATA (82.0ms)

These two records keep being polled even though they don't have AAAA resolution for wechat.com. I switched to Google DNS from Cloudflare and still getting NODATA for sglong.wechat.com and sgshort.wechat.com.

Not sure if this is related to the problem, since on mobile data the stickers load properly.
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/gibq8Bv3/

One thing that popped out to me was:
[✗] Failed to resolve doubleclick.com via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

Use these tools:

Thanks, it doesn't seem to be a problem with Pihole or DNS for that matter.
Even after putting in 1.1.1.1 in Opnsense settings or 8.8.8.8, neither work.

Strangely enough, the stickers load over mobile data. That's what I don't understand.

This really shows the problem is not caused by Pi-hole.

Looks like this could be a problem on your router.

Thanks, I will ask on OPNsense forum.
They would be more knowledgeable about the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.