Websites timing out then working again

Hi there, I'm having issue with temporary timeouts on websites across all devices. laptop, pihole, phones and TV.

My pihole runs on docker on this machine.
Dell Laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GH
32GB RAM
512SSD
Windoww 11 running Docker pihole

regularly I'll be waiting for a page to load, and it'll time out, including running Update Ad lists
for example https://adaway.org/hosts.txt would not load from within pihole, was refused. repeatedly, so I pasted it into a browser and it evetually loaded and then I re-ran the updater and it updated.
But I get this issue with multiple websites/Apps; such as using Reddit App, and I get 'failed to load content' then I retry a number of times and then it works. or my banking App, fails then eventually works.
I stops me from watching TV until I restart the DNS resolver and then it works for a while (but this may be bias as it can come good after a few attempts, or time passes, not sure which)
I moved the pihole from one machine to another thinking it was the PC, but the issue followed the pihole.
I only have one DNS server on the LAN (afaik)
DHCP is done via my router.
This issue only started a few weeks ago, I think after I updated pihole.
I feel this is a DNS timeout issue, so I changed by upstream servers from Google to Cloudfare which has better repsonse times, and whilst its better for a while, the service degrades again.

what has changed? this used to be rock solid, fast and working perfecty.

debug log : https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/eWFEo7et/

many thanks
Pete

The same has been happening to me since I installed the latest docker upgrade. I had to change DNS in the router back to my ISP provided DNS.

This is also what I’m dealing with as well. I think I’m going to do a fresh install of everything, and see if that fixes it.

och mentioned that their issues started after an update to docker. I remember doing a similar thing recently. interesting I thought.. so I rolled back to 4.18, I was on 4.19.
I then did a clean pihole install and restored my most recent pihole backup.
that was last night around 11pm and next day 3pm so far so good. internet is stable, kids have been on tablets, misses on laptop, phones, all the normal network traffic on a cold wet day..
so I think this is the answer. at least, by now the intermittent issues would have manifested; whilst its still early days, it feels fixed.
I would like to suggest to gordo_marina that I did a clean install and it fixed nothing; I even moved machines and it didn't resolve anything.
anyway, here is the link to get an earlier version of docker :

select the 4.18 release
cheers guys
if the issue comes back I'll report it in this thread..
A

Your debug log has expired, but if you didn't run that again, it should still be available at /var/log/pihole/pihole_debug.log within your container.

Could you please check that debug log if it would contain similar lines as Websites timing out/ loading slowly - #2 by Bucking_Horn?

If so, could you please join that topic and upload a fresh debug token there?

hey, I won't have this debug log as I've nuked the whole docker and the container is now lost..
but I'll have a look at that thread and comment if it helps anyone else
cheers

I can add that I was getting rate limited at times too, but because I'm not using pihole as dhcp I had no idea what was causing this.
however, 48hrs later I'm still on a fast internet, blocking ads and no issues, so it most certainly feels like it's the docker version I was running.

1 Like

Just letting this thread know that everything is still working perfectly on pihole with 4.18 Docker Desktop

This is my commands to build pihole

--get the latest pihole
docker pull pihole/pihole

--if I have current pihole
--docker container ls
--docker container stop 84d1263d89d0
--docker system prune

create pihole
docker run -d --name pihole -e ServerIP=192.168.178.100 -e WEBPASSWORD=****** -e TZ=NZ -e DNS1=1.1.1.1 -e DNS2=1.0.0.1 -p 80:80 -p 53:53/tcp -p 53:53/udp -p 443:443 --restart=unless-stopped pihole/pihole:latest
-- then I create the network bridge which I've read works better than the default bridge.
docker network create --driver bridge piholebridge
docker network connect piholebridge pihole
docker network disconnect bridge pihole
-- then I restore my pihole backup, run updates and away I go

I do not use pihole DHCP, the router gives out the pihole as its DNS
due to Docker internal networking I only ever see one IP address on my network [172.18.0.1]
I cannot work out how to see individual clients when using Docker. But thats a nice to have.
Even turning on conditional forwarding and unticking these two options has no effect.
Never forward non-FQDN A and AAAA queries
Never forward reverse lookups for private IP ranges
anyway, its a simple setup that works well
i'm probably going to stay on docker 4.18 for the forseeable future
cheers

This is awesome. Thanks for all the valuable info.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.