Website keeps hanging time out - without being blocked

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

Website should work as expected.

Actual Behaviour:

Website seems to load, but very slow, after a while two things can happen. You get an time out error, or the website will be loaded, or the website loads 50% and the loading bar keeps loading.

Already tried the following:

• Disabled all ad lists
  • Restart DNS
  • Update gravity
  • Disable pihole
  • Changed DNS servers from Cloudflare (only IPv4) to Google and OpenDNS (IPv4 and v6) and to only OpenDNS (both v4 and v6)

When I manually change my dns in my device (iPhone or Mac) to bypass the pihole, so to for example 8.8.8.8 the website works fine. Also on 4G it always works fine. So there has to be a problem with the Pihole

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/r53UX5dn/

As you only mention Apple devices, I guess you're affected by the issue reported here

1 Like

It would seem Apple's latest updates for some of their OS lines would not stick to Apple's own specifications regairding their Private Relay feature.

Quoting from Apple's docs at
Prepare Your Network or Web Server for iCloud Private Relay - Apple Developer:

Those are the domains that are handled by Pi-hole's BLOCK_ICLOUD_PR.

Apple seems to have introduced a different or additional option and/or label 'Limit IP Address Tracking' that does not seem to honor those DNS request answers as specified.

See Safari won't finish loading certain sites after iOS 15.5 / MacOS 12.4 upgrade for a detailed discussion.

In order to be properly addressed, this should be raised with Apple's support, really.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.