Web interface very slow & "dns service not running"

When I go to the web interface it takes 30 seconds to load any page. I've seen someone else report the same problem.

In addition I am getting the dreaded "DNS service not running" message.

Yet despite this the PiHole is working fine as far as I can tell. My network speed is normal and ads are being blocked. If I reboot the RaspberryPi it fixes both problems but then they re-appear the next day.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/793047vnb4

Try these steps to replace the long term database (reversible but you will lose any new entries made during the test).

sudo service pihole-FTL stop

sudo mv /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL-old.db

sudo service pihole-FTL start

After running the last command I got:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo service pihole-FTL start
Job for pihole-FTL.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pihole-FTL.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status pihole-FTL.service
● pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-06-11 13:12:01 CDT; 20s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 9569 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 11 13:11:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Jun 11 13:12:01 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[9569]: .....
Jun 11 13:12:01 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[9569]: Not stopped; may still be shutting down or shutdown may have failed, killiJun 11 13:12:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pihole-FTL.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 11 13:12:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pihole-FTL.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 11 13:12:01 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.

DNS was not working so I've just rebooted.

After running those commands and rebooting, my stats database was reset and everything was working normally.

But now here we are on the next day and again it is taking 30 seconds to load the web interface and getting "dns service not running" message.

Anyone have any ideas?

Please upload a new debug log and post the new token.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/e5aqbnan0c

A post was split to a new topic: Multiple instances of pihole-FTL running

I also ended up wiping the system and starting over. It's been a week and neither problem has come back yet. Other than that I have no solution.

Someone else on Reddit also reported the slow web interface problem. It seems like there is a bug somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.