Virtual Server Recommendation?

Good Morning,

I'm currently running Pi-hole an a Raspberry Pi at home but want to use it on my mobile etc as well. Therefore I'm looking for a good Virtual Server solution so it is reachable from all over the world. :slight_smile: Any ideas? As I'm from Germany, I might be interested in a German company. Guess there are some German folks around here. :slight_smile:

BR Johannes

Good morning to you.
Do you want to rent a VPS just to run Pi-hole ?
Why not setup openVPN on the Pi @ home and have your mobile devices dial in.
Is allot cheaper.
If you rent a VPS to run Pi-hole, you'll need to setup openVPN anyway as you cant run an open resolver (not recommended).
Have a read at below link bout those open resolvers and how they are used for attacks etc.

I'm curious about this too, if the devs have any advice -- I tried to setup pihole on an Amazon AWS server, and while it works, the connection is very slow. It's strange.

Firstly, I have to say that I agree with what @deHakkelaar said. Most of "us" (the developers) use exactly that: Some Pi hardware at home and we access that on the road, from the office, etc. using a VPN solution. It is the cheapest as in it doesn't cost you anything (except the power for the Pi device). You can configure it in such a way that only DNS traffic is sent through the VPN network as you don't slow down browsing even if you have only a slow upstream speed at home.

If you really want to go to a company where you can rent a virtual machine, then you can go to e.g.

It is difficult to give clear recommendations, as it highly depends on what you need (more disk space, more CPU power, "don't care just cheap"). I use all the three of them for testing while I use the latter for running a file synchonization server as they have cheap machines with less power but more disk space at the same price and they stick to German data protection declarations. The typical cloud providers (like Vultr and Digitalocean) give a more balanced CPU power/disk space ratio which is suitable for most, but not all applications.

I'd recommend to go with the already existing Pi and set up a VPN + dynamic DNS record.

See our official VPN wiki here: