V3.3.1 DNSMASQ fails to start on centos 7, web and FTL seem to start and web shows the interface

I am only getting dnsmasq to start when I remove these two lines from /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf. Are either of these needed?

log-queries=extra
log-facility=/var/log/pihole.log

Dnsmasq will start but nothing is showing up in the web interface. The log file pihole.log exists in /var/log but has zero size, not sure when it got created.

Would this be working when it's enabled though the web interface is not showing anything in the web interface or because I am not seeing anything, it's not working?

Here's the version of dnsmasq that is installed (no prior installation of pi hole).

dnsmasq-2.76-2.el7_4.2.x86_64

I took a debug just in case it was needed.

Your debug token is: lu5uutuc98

Well, I figured it out.

Because FTL is distributing their own binary to drive DNS, if you ALREADY have dnsmasq installed, it has to be removed from the host BEFORE PIHOLE FTL will work correctly.

Probably should not just check for certain rpms but whether pihole installed them or not and update if you haven't or suggest they be removed.

This is only true for FTLDNS (which is the current beta of Pi-hole, it is not yet officially released).

This version of dnsmasq should be able to interpret the two lines you mentioned

so I'm not sure how to interpret that removing them helped you out.

Neither am I. I just took them out and dnsmasq was working.

Once I removed dnsmasq from the system and re-ran the installation, it worked fine, though it's not showing dnsmasq as installed. Weird.

See:

Your debug token is: yfom3qujtv

We also were talking about systemctl disable dnsmasq.service but NetworkManager has been a stumbling issue. systemctl mask dnsmasq.service would completely disable the service on CentOS and not require a removal of the package for things like libvirt that host their one DHCP server for VMs.

I do want to note that I did upgrade to FTLDNS after the v3.3.1 install, given the instructions from this page: Help Us Beta Test FTLDNS – Pi-hole thinking that this would help with the original issue.

So I guess maybe it wasn't clear what the curl call installed and whether I needed to install that before I did the beta for FTLDNS or not, but I believe none of the commands would have worked without it installed.

One weird issue is that pihole didn't install when I installed v3.3.1, it was pihole-FTL, the /etc/.pihole had the binary for pihole but never copied it down to where pihole-FTL was installed, I had to do that manually to be able to run pihole -d or -r or anything with those flags.

I'm including this if this matters for helping debug:

Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-130-g2e6a937) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-179-g3fd9b4d) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-8ef6f31)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.