Using two pi-holes for redundancy

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Using dual pi-hole (2 raspberry pi hardwired) for redundancy. Each have DHCP running for a range of IPs. Would love to see names resolve on both.

Actual Behaviour:

Local IP displayed instead of name. I’m thinking this is a simple configuration issue where I somehow use conditional forwarding or something? Thanks in advance.

Debug Token:

[Replace this text with the debug token provided from running pihole -d (or running the debug script through the web interface]

Ok, tell me why it’s not a good idea to setup nfs and make dhcp.leases a symbolic link so both PiHoles are reading/writing same up ranges in the same file. Because that’s what I did and now things are ok.... I think. :smile:

This is all wonderful and all, but the main reason I ask is I have a house full of “smart” devices. For months I’ve been fighting using my router or another router as my DHCP server and DNS etc. Things fall “offline” or are “unresponsive” in reality the router couldn’t handle it.

By switching to a singe Pi-hole things were pretty great. I just don’t want to burn out that one pi. Having two sharing the same lease list is really the focus of my issue since it actually is about performance and high availability and less so about the stats and things in the console.

I wanted to put this out because I don’t see a lot of people talking about Pi-hole as a solution to iot@home, but I also wanted to make sure someone didn’t say “whoah man, don’t do that and here’s why”.

I am running a ADS-B dongle with different data feeders, these are generating more than 100'000 DNS-requests each day.
This slowed down my pi-hole (the sd-card had also problems).

So I installed on two pi's (a Raspberry and a Banana) the pi-hole, running parallel.
Normally a computer or router asks for two DNS, a primary and a secondary.
With two independent pi-holes (running on 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12) my system is more stable and the DNS-requests are faster.

For me this a good solution and I can recommend it.

Best regards
Christopher

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.