Use comment field from group management/clients for name resolution in dashboard

The Comment/Client Name that is assigned to a Client IP/Mac, should show the assigned name in the main Dashboard and Query Log - so you can show it to a non-tech Manager and they can see "Bob's Phone" "Bob's Computer" "Sally's Computer"..... and not "10.0.0.15" "10.0.0.16"..etc

See my post here, with images for clarification. Add default or add setting for Client Name display · Issue #1482 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub

You're likely attract more voters if you specify your titel to something like:
"Use comment field from group management/clients for name resolution in dashboard"

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. However, as you have seen, this is a comment, not a name field. I don't know what users have entered in here, but it may not be pretty if we use it as identifier, for instance, I have for one client a comment when its VPN certificate expires...

A better approach is to define hostnames for these devices using, e.g., the Local DNS page. If you specify bobs-computer -> 10.0.0.15 and sallys-computer -> 10.0.0.16, then Pi-hole will use these names instead of the IP addresses. Bonus is that you do not have to remember them because you can use these hostnames as well if you want to connect to any of these devices.

2 Likes