Upgrdaing from Jessie to Stretch - problems?

Has anyone encountered and problems with Pi-Hole after updating to Stretch?

I plan on getting it done this week.

Having updated another Pi3 it took some time and caused problems with my home assistant installation.
Pi-Hole is the 1 thing I do not want breaking!

Clearly everything will backed up before attempting any upgrade, just wondered if anyone has done this and if there is anything in particular to watch put for.

Thanks

1 Like

Do you have the latest firmware in your Pi3?

Sorry I don't follow?
As I said, Pi3 was updated via editing /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list and running

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

My pi-hole is actually running on a separate dedicated Pi2.

To clarify, I am seeking any tips, guidance etc and things to bear in mind when updating my pi-hope Rpi to stretch, not for help with my HAS installation

The Pi3 Firmware maybe has issues have you checked https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=167934

The Command is sudo rpi-update to the download the latest firmware.
The upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade has nothing to do with the firmware.

Do you have a spare Micro SD card?

Pi3 firmware is fine.
From what I gather it appears the general consensus is that sudo rpi-update is not a good command to run, and can and does often cause more bad than good.
In this case it was my HAS instance installed in a virtual environemt...which needs rebuilding.

Slightly off topic though...

So, back to my original question, any potential problems for pi-hole when upgrading to Stretch.

You should be fine, though you're going to want to take a backup first.. just in case.

We don't officially support Stretch out of the box yet, so there may be some as yet undocumented issues. I've recently been testing the installer for the next release on Stretch, and so far things seem to be installing/working OK. It may be wise to wait for version 3.2 before upgrading.

Or live life on the edge and see what happens...!

1 Like

good to know and straight from the horses mouth so to speak :wink:
I think ill give it a while and wait maybe.
I was only thinking to upgrade to ensure everything is secure etc what with whats been in the media of late

Try running pihole -r to repair the installation if it still isn't working.

Thanks for asking that, was actually asking myself the same exact question. Also I'm on the same Setup. Waiting for 3.2 seems to be the right move then :slight_smile:

You could also run pihole checkout dev to get the latest development version.

Yep, you're right but for now I'm going to stay on the safe side, although I couldn't see any difference in reliability when I was on the dev branch, you guys are doing a great job there :+1: