Upgraded Pi can't reach internet - couldn't get address for 'ns1.pi-hole.net'

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-hole should be able to resolve DNS

Actual Behaviour:

Pi-hole cannot resolve DNS

I updated the Pi to Bullseye before I ran pihole -up. The upgrade script fails because the pi can no longer reach the internet.

Debug Token:

I wasn't able to upload the debug file (tricorder.pi-hole.net throws a 404 error). Some extracts of the log file is attached.

How can I resolve this issue?
pihole.txt (25.7 KB)

Pi-hole's DNS resolver can't start because another process (connmand) is hogging port 53:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Pi-hole diagnosis messages
 id  timestamp           type           message
 --- ------------------- -------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 13  2023-04-13 01:38:07 DNSMASQ_CONFIG failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Ports in use
[53] is in use by connmand (https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequisites/#ports)

You'd either have to disable connmand on your RPi, or to reconfigure it for another port.

Your log excerpt shows that you'd be using a bit of additional software on your RPi hosting Pi-hole.
So probably, some other software has installed and enabled command, in whoch case you'd want to make sure that those s/w would not rely on connmand somehow.

For the same reason, you should probably aware of the RPi Foundation's warning on in-place upgrades.

Note that the RPi Foundation officially warns about in-place upgrades to new releases .

You could consider to start afresh with a new Raspberry Pi OS Lite image.

If you'd decide for that approach, you should backup your Pi-hole settings via Settings | Teleporter to transfer your Pi-hole configuration.

I also run a Unifi controller on the Pi. It's the set up described here: https://community.ui.com/questions/Step-By-Step-Tutorial-Guide-Raspberry-Pi-with-UniFi-Controller-and-Pi-hole-from-scratch-headless/e8a24143-bfb8-4a61-973d-0b55320101dc

The controller stopped working and an upgrade of the pi was suggested. I didn't know this was not recommended.

Thanks for the help and pointer to connman. I have taken the following steps and I can now reach the internet again.

Removed connman
Ran pihole -r (update mode)
Reboot pi
Install network-manager (as a replacement for connman)

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

A little late but disabling the stub resolver/dnsproxy within connman should also work:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.