Updated to 5.0 - old Whitelist erased/doesnt work

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

I had a fairly large whitelist that I compiled over a year or two. I ran pihole -up and was excited to see that 5.0 is GA now :slight_smile:

I now see that my previous whitelist was "Migrated from /etc/pihole/whitelist.txt" and expected everything to work as it used to

• Ubuntu 16.04.06 LTS

Actual Behaviour:

Whitelist is not working.

Items that were previously in the whitelist now show up in the query log as "Status : Unknown (9)"
I have to slowly rebuild my lists :frowning:

Is there somewhere I can get my old list from?

EDIT - I found the old whitelist in /etc/pihole/migrated_backup

Is there a quick way that I can add multiple domains into the new whitelist and not one by one?

EDIT 2 - rebooted the machine, no joy
E.G
Query log:

Previous whitelist:

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/zwxm7l45xe

Clear your browsers cache and then check again.

I don't think so. Let's do it step by step. I'm sure we will quickly find a solution.

Before you do this, first try to flush your browser cache + reload the dashboard.

You can add multiple domains at once when they are space-separated.

How will clearing the browser cache help in this situation?

Its not browser related because (for E.G) facebook apps dont work on devices too

I havent actually tried to reboot the pihole machine, will try now

The "Unknown" message relates to your browser caching an older version of the dashboard which is not yet aware of this new status. It will not help immediately, however, it will show better what is going on!

v5.0 ships something called "deep CNAME inspection". Update your dashboard and it will give you more information.,

Not necessary

Alrighty, I cleared caches

Still, it doesnt appear that the whitelist has migrated correctly

What do you see now for the whitelist? Am I right assuming you added extra adlists blocking more than what the developers offer during the regular install?

Pi-hole v5.0 does this "deep CNAME inspection". Before, you had to block "facebook.com" to prevent access. Now, if there are redirections in between, these domains are also checked. It is likely that these additional checks prevent access to this pages for you. You should be seeing what was blocked exactly now in the Query Log after having cleared your cache.

The whitelist (Domain) section was empty except for the first entry:

I have had to add some newer entries that were on my previous list.

I do have "non-standard" block lists added, but have not added/removed any lists since the update

Yes I understand the new CNAME inspection method, but I also understand that whitelist is always checked first - so many domains should already be allowed. But they are blocked from gravity

It looks like something went wrong when parsing your whitelist file which is why it is showing binary file (standard input)...

In this case you may need to add them in again manually. You can open your whitelist file as a list and paste them in like so:

multiadd

Depending on the number of entries, you may wish to do it in batches

Wonder what went wrong in the parsing process

The file was possibly corrupt, as it was being read as a binary file...

Might want to check the quality of your SD card or make sure the power supply you use on your Pi is properly rated for that hardware. (Or, if you're not using a pi / SBC ignore that comment!)

Yeah not using a Pi :slight_smile:
Oh well, good time to review the whitelist lol

Okay, this was not clear so far. You only said whitelist is not working. You never said there was only one entry there. So I assumed your domains were all present just not applied which is I was looking for reasons why a whitelisted domain could be blocked.

Glad that this is resolved now using the powers of Mr. @PromoFaux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.