Unsupported OS; cant skip OS check

yeah this is first time installing, however when i type that in it gives me the same unsupported OS error

Sorry... I'm out of knowledge :man_shrugging:

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | export PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true sudo bash

Following thread with same error. Won't install on fresh version 4 OR 3 B+ with fresh Buster install. After last suggestion, I get:

CK=true sudo bash
curl: (23) Failed writing body (1354 != 1371)

1 Like

I am having the same issue on ubuntu server 19.10 x64. Everything in this thread so far comes back not supported os.

That seems to be something before the installer is even passed to bash.

Ubuntu 19 is unsupported, we support 16, 18 and 20. Offhand I don't see what would prevent us from supporting 19, and if we can then we'll just need to update the TXT record and you'll be able to install.

In the meantime you can try

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true sudo bash

without the export to see if that helps.

Edit: 19.10 is EOL so it probably will not be added to our supported list. Ubuntu 19.10 Hits End of Life, Users Should Upgrade Now - OMG! Ubuntu

I am trying an upgrade to 20 first, will get back to you since I saw you were skipping the supported odd numbers. I use this machine as a minecraft server anyways. No big deal.

Thanks for suggestion Dan. Still, the same hang on OS. I tried re-flashing the SD card and not updating first, the pi-hole installer suggested that I update after install, (root was OK), but then same issue.

I also tried to use Diet Pi (because of option to add PI-Hole), but it failed to install.

After upgrading to ubuntu 20.X, I was able to install it, no problem..It works great so far..Going to find the contribute page now, thank you.

funny note on the upgrade from ubuntu 19 to 20, it's a headless server so during the upgrade, it locked me out of local ssh. I had to temporarily open a router port to ssh into my headless server to reboot it, then I could login from a local ip number.. I probably could have went to the basement and restarted it with the power button, but what's the fun in that?

Last time I did a major version update for Ubuntu it warned that SSH connections were likely to go down. How did you do the in-place upgrade?

They always say this as SSH may get restarted during the upgrade. As safety measure, I run the upgrade in tmux to ensure a killed SSH connection doesn't hurt. Cutting a long story short:

• In the same warning it says that it will spawn a backup SSH server which will NOT restart. I never needed it, though.
  • I have never seen an actual interruption of service. I upgraded my server at home as well as three servers in remote data centers from Ubuntu 16->18->20 and never had a problem.

It told me that too. It said it would spawn a backup server at port 1022. Probably should have opened that port in the firewall before doing it. I went ahead and that's where I couldn't login from a local ip address. I happen to have a game server manager on that same system and noticed I could get into it after the upgrade from outside my network by using my wan address. So for a couple of minutes I opened port 22 in my router to point to that server and I was able to ssh from my wan address. Did a reboot from there, now everything is fine.

Used to run Mint Debian and 4.4 went 5 fine by ignoring OS check. Now moved to MX Linux and need to do a fresh install, trouble is OS not supported again. Tried the suggestions above for incorporating Ignore with curl without success.

Any ideas appreciated.

What's the output of

dig -t txt versions.pi-hole.net
dig -t txt versions.pi-hole.net @ns1.pi-hole.net

root@chris:/home/chris# dig -t txt versions.pi-hole.net

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1+deb10u1-Debian <<>> -t txt versions.pi-hole.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10894
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;versions.pi-hole.net. IN TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:

versions.pi-hole.net. 60 IN TXT "Raspbian=9,10 Ubuntu=16,18,20 Debian=9,10 Fedora=31,32 CentOS=7,8"

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.195#53(192.168.1.195)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 29 17:36:21 BST 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 127
dig -t txt versions.pi-hole.net @ns1.pi-hole.net

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1+deb10u1-Debian <<>> -t txt versions.pi-hole.net @ns1.pi-hole.net

;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8576
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 9
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;versions.pi-hole.net. IN TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:

versions.pi-hole.net. 60 IN TXT "Raspbian=9,10 Ubuntu=16,18,20 Debian=9,10 Fedora=31,32 CentOS=7,8"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

pi-hole.net. 3600 IN NS ns4.pi-hole.net.
pi-hole.net. 3600 IN NS ns3.pi-hole.net.
pi-hole.net. 3600 IN NS ns2.pi-hole.net.
pi-hole.net. 3600 IN NS ns1.pi-hole.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns1.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN A 185.136.96.96
ns2.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN A 185.136.97.96
ns3.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN A 185.136.98.96
ns4.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN A 185.136.99.96
ns1.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN AAAA 2a06:fb00:1::1:96
ns2.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN AAAA 2a06:fb00:1::2:96
ns3.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN AAAA 2a06:fb00:1::3:96
ns4.pi-hole.net. 3600 IN AAAA 2a06:fb00:1::4:96

;; Query time: 12 msec

;; SERVER: 185.136.96.96#53(185.136.96.96)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 29 17:37:59 BST 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 375

(I reformated your post for better readability)

Dig returned sucessfully the list of supported OS. So the installe should not fail silently.

Please try

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true sudo -E bash
1 Like
root@chris:/home/chris# curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true sudo -E 
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
            [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-T timeout]
            [-u user] file ...
curl: (23) Failed writing body (1354 != 1371)

Failed I am afraid.

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | PIHOLE_SKIP_OS_CHECK=true sudo -E bash

The bash was missing.

1 Like

I am an idiot missing the bash!

Loads but not as it should.

Pi-hole diagnosis comes up with:

DataTables warning: table id=messagesTable - Invalid JSON response. For more information about this error, please see http://datatables.net/tn/1