Unable to login after password reset

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

After initial setup could login to admin web interface. Then did sudo -a -p to reset admin password from default. Should be able to login using new password.

Actual Behaviour:

Cannot log into admin web interface, keep getting 'Wrong password!' error.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lte9nkjwvx

Should be pihole -a -p hello

Where hello would be your new password.

I mean I did sudo pihole -a -p and was prompted to set new password which I did. After which I cannot log into the web admin.

Did the display look exactly like the below?

$ pihole -a -p
Enter New Password (Blank for no password): 
Confirm Password: 
  [✓] New password set

Yes it did.

Can you list out the permissions on /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf?

sudo ls -lah /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

And check for a password in that file (but don't post it here, just check that it's not empty):

sudo grep -i webpassword /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

1 Like

Result of sudo ls -lah /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 298 Sep 15 04:52 /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
Curiously I was prompted for password to run and had to use the default blackhole
But that password doesn't get into web admin either.
Running the second command shows there is some value for WEBPASSWORD in that file.

Resolved. Initially I was doing sudo pihole -a -p to set password. When doing that user is prompted to set new password but cannot see password. Just now I did sudo -a -p <password> I was setting a password that included hash # character but that was being set as pound symbol on the pi device. Once I saw that I set using a different character and can now get in. Pretty annoying though.

Was this a Pi-hole purchased from Pi-supply?

Yes, purchased from UK pi-supply. Which I get is why it has some UK setting but still not obvious.

Were you able to get any assistance from their support?

tbh I didn't try. Googling for a solution led me here and seemed like best bet for a solution.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.