Unable to keep DNS resolution local for 1 host

Hi

Running Pihole in a VM and mostly everything going well, Setup DoH/Cloudfalre for secure DNS and very happy!

Followed the guide to create a lan.list file and configure pihole to reference it, works well for all hosts i add to it except one

This is my NAS, now i have created an entry, for example (not actually mine, but you get the idea 192.168.1.1 nas.mydomain.com nas

Now i do own mydomain.com as i expose my cctv part of the nas, i have the matching hostname added in my external DNS provider being cloudflare.

So as i said, all other lan hosts respond locally, the NAS however, if i ping say just the word nas, i get a response from my external IP address. no matter what i try, it tries to out and back in

I do also use DoH with the pihole which also uses cloudflare on the public dns side, however i would have though it should hit my local lan list first??

What guide did you follow?

See this related thread:

First post from here

Thanks for that, i use a Unifi USG router, but i dont wish to use hairpin here, the pihole should honour my lan server config and respond with the local IP?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.