Ubuntu 16.04 updated to 18.04 DNS service not running

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Actual Behaviour:

in the admin page it shows DNS service not running but appears that dnsmasq is running when checking the status had to make some changed i found on here to get dnsmasq to startup and then URLs started to resolve but pihole still things the DNS service isn't running and i don't think blacklist URLs are being filters but the default ones are i believe

Have tried doing a repair also but didn't help

Debug Token:

ipwg48w32a

This may be related to the issues with Ubuntu 18.04 Network Manager. Check this related post on that issue and see if it has a solution that works for you.

Hey jfb

Thanks for that but i believed those are instructions similar to those i follow before. I don't seem to have an issue with actually getting dnsmasq to start but pi-hole it self seems to think the DNS service is down and as a result domains on my blacklist don't seem to be filtered anymore where as the default list pihole gets do. I can see queries going through my pihole.

EDIT**

For instance when i check the status of dnsmasq

>  dnsmasq.service - dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-07-24 14:00:32 AEST; 4min 41s ago
 Main PID: 9591 (dnsmasq)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dnsmasq.service
           └─9591 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u dnsmasq -r /run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf -7 /etc/dnsmasq.d,.dpkg-dist,.dpkg-old,.dpkg-new --local-service --trust-anchor=.,19036,8,2,49aac11d7b6f6446702e54a1607371607a1a418552

Jul 24 14:00:32 Elyptor systemd[1]: Starting dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server...
Jul 24 14:00:32 Elyptor dnsmasq[9582]: dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
Jul 24 14:00:32 Elyptor systemd[1]: Started dnsmasq - A lightweight DHCP and caching DNS server.

Are you running the FTLDNS?

What-s the output of

pihole -v

I replied to a similar issue here:

What I think applies to you is this:

Due to the nature of your environment and the presence of Network Manager, after FTLDNS is installed, you need to make sure that Network Manager does NOT enable dnsmasq (at reboot) before FTLDNS. In order to achieve that, you need to edit

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

And comment out or delete the line that has dns=dnsmasq.

Then you need to restart NetworkManager in order for the new settings (without dnsmasq as resolver) to be applied:

sudo systemctl reload-or-restart NetworkManager

If after reboot, your /admin/ interface is showing Lost Connection To Api and DNS resolution is not working, then that means that FTLDNS is offline.

Check to see if dnsmasq is running with

sudo systemctl status dnsmasq

It should say

If dnsmasq is active you need to stop it and restart FTLDNS in order for the DNS resolution to work properly.

sudo systemctl stop dnsmasq
sudo systemctl restart pihole-FTL.service

Once you have done this, you need to find out why dnsmasq is starting.

If you don't use dnsmasq in your own setup, it is safe to uninstall it if you so chose to do so.

sudo apt remove dnsmasq however since it's a dependency of Network Manager, it MIGHT be re-installed if your environment is set-up for auto updates and it will break FTLDNS again.

If you did everything right, dnsmasq shouldn't be a problem once on FTLDNS and the disable method above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.