The issue I am facing:
Local name resolution does not work. i.e. I cannot resolve "office.lan" (or whatever) to the desired local IP address.
Details about my system:
- Pi-hole v5.1.2, freshly installed.
- Netgear Orbi router (yes, I know), however ...
- Pi-hole is configured to serve DHCP (and DHCP is disabled on Orbi)
- Ad blocking appears to be working.
What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
- Under Settings -> DHCP, I have configured several static leases.
e.g. A given mac address is leased an IP address of 192.168.1.201 with hostname "OFFICE."
So here's the deal ...
Since the pi-hole is serving DHCP, all clients show up by hostname, not by IP. That's expected. Likewise, the hostname that's showing up is the hostname associated with the device on the Settings -> DCHP page. (i.e. If I gave it a static lease with a hostname, it uses that. If not, it uses whatever host name the device itself reports.)
However, given the static DHCP lease example above, I expected to be able to do a ping or nslookup on
office.lan and be directed to 192.168.1.201. Suffice to say, I cannot.
I have also tried adding a "local DNS record" with domain = "office.lan" and IP Address = 192.168.1.201. That doesn't work either.
On the off chance that the ".lan" in the local DNS record might conflict with the "pi-hole domain name" of ".lan" assigned on the DHCP page, I deleted the prior local DNS record and tried assigning the same IP address to "office.foo", but that didn't work either.
I should also mention that I flush the client device's DNS cache and restart dns on the pi-hole after each change. Perhaps that's overkill, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
This YouTube video appears to show a working solution, but this also does not work for me.
To be clear, the goal is for two things to be working:
- "office.lan" is correctly identified with that hostname, not by IP address, on the pi-hole dashboard. (working)
- All devices on the local network can resolve "office.lan" to its assigned IP address (not working)
What's the most user-friendly way of accomplishing that?