Trying to install Pi-hole on Banana Pi R2

It did not return an error. It did not return anything. I will try to copy and paste the results from the debug somewhere else so it will be easier to read.

you can just upload the debug and paste the token provided at the end

token is bnwi28omzc

from your log it looks like a lot of files are missing which would cause your issues.

try resetting /etc/resolv.conf from 127.0.0.1 to your preferred DNS then do the following for me
pihole uninstall
sudo rm -rf /etc/.pihole/
sudo rm -rf /etc/pihole/
then rerun the install command using sudo

My personal suggestion is Armbian Stretch https://www.armbian.com/bananapi-r2/ I’m running that distribution on my installs with NanoPi gear and I have not run in to any problems. Might need to update the prerequisite documents to list Armbian as supported.

Already tried that. Banana Pi R2 won’t boot that.

Then what OS are you running, and do you have a link to the download?

ubuntu MATE v16.04

There’s no way for us to support that. We don’t have the hardware or software to be able to attempt an install. You may get some assistance from the forum members here, but officially that’s an unsupported configuration.

So what hardware that provides gigabyte bandwidth that can be used a DNS server is supported?

There’s a couple of things to consider:

The Pi-hole is not a proxy. We only handle DNS traffic only, gigabit makes no difference in this case, 100Mbit/s would be overkill even with a thousand clients hammering the server.

SBCs are not the only supported platform. Virtual Private Servers, cloud (Digital Ocean/GCP/Vultr), home servers (x86_64), even Docker installs. The hardware requirements are very minimal. 1G RAM / 1 vCPU / 20 Gig drive space.

Edit: Some people get things down to 512M RAM and have had no problems.

My concern isn’t hardware, it’s bandwidth. There’s no point of me using Pi-hole if it can’t handle my bandwidth. 136 Mb/s.

Pi-hole isn’t a proxy, it doesn’t go in between your network and the router. It hangs off the router just as another client. The only traffic it sees is DNS queries and responses that are directed to it on the local network.

Okay. That information is starting to sink in. So I guess the issue I have is now that I can’t use a Raspberry Pi because it doesn’t have a LAN gigabyte connection to go from my router to it for me to use Pi-hole on so I’ve got to do some research on a device that broadcasts Wireless N, that supports an OS that supports Pi-hole.

This doesn’t replace your router. You don’t need gigabit.

You currently have your clients set up to use DNS. Take for example Google. The DNS points to 8.8.8.8 and all you send to Google is a DNS query. You don’t send your entire network traffic through the DNS server at 8.8.8.8.

Replace 8.8.8.8 with 192.168.0.115 which points to a Raspberry Pi sitting on your local network. You tell your clients to use 192.168.0.115 for DNS resolution and that’s it. No forwarding traffic, no routing, just pure DNS. 100Mbps interface is more than enough for that.

Wow. I am an idiot and thank you for pointing that out to me. I’ve been sitting believing Raspberry Pi doesn’t do gigabit when it does. I get what you are saying about DNS and you are thinking about DNS and I’m not. I’m not worried about that. I’m worried about bandwidth and I know now I shouldn’t.

It’s actually a quite common misconception. When people think ad-blocking they think that the ad-blocker needs to be in the middle of the conversation between client and server, and for most solutions that is true. We are different in the fact that we only operate on DNS traffic. So the hard requirements are a lot lower and places that Pi-hole can be installed are much greater.

Personally I use NanoPi Neo devices when I install Pi-hole and they run just fine with Armbian as the OS of choice there.

Well, I already have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2 but if I do decide to use another device, I will look into NanoPi Neo devices. Which Neo do you recommend since I see 6 different versions?

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=132

closed #33

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.