Troubleshoot help

Basically there are a couple web features that do not perform correctly when I am using my pihole but as soon as I change networks they start working again with 100% consistency.

For example windows time sync for the system clock does not work when I am on a network using my pihole. As soon as I change to a hotspot from my phone then windows syncs time immediately.

Similarly when using the amazon app on my phone, if I am on my network using pihole then I cannot load detailed/zoomed in images in the app. Switch to cell network only and everything works perfectly.

I checked the query log and whitelisted absolutely everything to the point there are no blocked queries in the query log when I attempt a time sync or attempt to view images on amazon, but they still continue to not work properly. What can I do? I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this.

Expected Behaviour:

Web requests for windows time sync and amazon detailed images work

Actual Behaviour:

both services just hang loading forever.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lnw9a59h4t

Check your networking. There appears to be 2 IPv4 addresses assigned to the interface, one /24 and one /16 and a number of different IPv6 addresses.

So I've finally got a chance to take a look at this and I don't quite understand why the pihole has the /24 IP. Every single other machine on my entire network only has a /16 address which is what I would expect per my router configuration.

I ran a pihole -r and it detected the /16 address and asked if I wanted to use that address with no other options but after rebooting I now only have /24 address. So to recap I had 2 addresses (/24 and /16) and after doing a pihole -r and rebooting I now only have one address but it's the /24 which is not what I would expect (and not what the pihole detected when I did the pihole -r)

Couple questions.

1. Is it possible something about the pihole configuration is causing it to grab the wrong CIDR value? It's only my 2 pihole machines on me entire network that have this IP/CIDR configuration, everything else is /16
  2. Does this matter? The debug log says
^ Please note that you may have more than one IP address listed.
   As long as one of them is green, and it matches what is in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf, there is no need for concern.

so I would not have been concerned but something is definitely wrong and I do like the idea of reducing noise by fixing this if it's easily possible.

1. finally, are there any troubleshooting steps you can suggest? I believe my router is configured fine and everything else works fine, just my piholes are having issues. I have several other machines running the same OS and configured the same way on my router (with reserved IPs) and they all only show one IP with /16 as expected. I'm using ip address command to list the IPs to check. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to do.

The issue is still very much present for me and more infuriating than ever. Just now I was unable to log onto this forum until I switched networks. Again no blocked queries in the query log, just kept getting 502 from the discourse login page when trying to use github login. The forum page itself and every other website loads just fine, it's just more tricky API calls (like windows time sync, amazon image fetch or discourse login) that seem to fail :frowning: :(.

Just to update I at least have them with one ipv4 address which matches between pihole conf and my system IP (even though it really shouldn't be getting /24 but whatever I guess).

Updated logs: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/4ed7ld1ky6

Check /etc/dhcpcd.conf and verify that the static IP address being assigned has the proper netmask.

Thanks. That seems to have been the source of the /24 address. The file had 2 entries for the same interface. I removed them all, restarted, reran pihole -r to reset everything and now I have one IP and it's the one I expect (so far)

Other things seem to be working a little better. I was able to login to this site via github today unlike yesterday. I am also able to see the higher quality images on amazon. All my issues are so low level that it's hard to speak much with confidence but so far so good there. One thing that still doesn't seem to work is windows 10 time syncing which works as soon as I change networks.

It might be a little finicky to troubleshoot but any suggestions on how I might figure out what is going on with the windows time sync would be appreciated. I'm just worried more low level issues might surface like when I wasn't able to auth via github yesterday.

Latest round of debug log in case that helps: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/t2bj9mp89u

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.