TrackerControl messes with Pi-Hole (dnsmasq to be exact)

The issue I am facing:
In the web GUI I keep getting this error:

DNSMASQ_WARN Warning in dnsmasq core:

ignoring query from non-local network 10.1.10.1 (logged only once)

Check out our documentation for further information.

I managed to debug why this strange behaviour is happening - namely the Android application TrackerControl uses a VPN internally and sets the IP to 10.1.10.1.

How do I setup this correctly to handle this error properly?

Details about my system:
Newest stable Pi-Hole components
Raspberry Pi OS (somewhat older build)

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:

Nothing config related.

By default Pi-hole will respond to "local networks". These are the networks set up on the Pi-hole's network interfaces. Typically this will be something like a 192.168... network and maybe an IPv6 network.

The warning is caused by the Android app trying to use the Pi-hole but coming from a completely different network which is the VPN. I see the same sometimes when a work computer first connects to its VPN. It seems to be down to how VPNs initiate their connection. Pi-hole gets a query but from the VPN network, and so it rejects it as it's not a local address.

It's not a problem. The best thing to do is ignore it if you can. If it's bugging you and you're sure that your Pi-hole is only accessible by you, and you're sure that this is the only cause off the warning, you can change the setting to allow all requests via the network interface. That way it won't care whether they're local or not and will respond.

More info here – Interfaces - Pi-hole documentation

I see, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.