Top Client is "::"

I can't figure out why one of my top 10 clients for today is called "::" I don't have any client on my DHCP server with that name and can't figure out which device it is.

I have had those for a while as well. I believe they are pi-hole itself, using IPV6 internally, to resolve DS and DNSKEY queries. I have IPV6 disabled, via net.ipv6.conf options but pi-hole still listens on tcp6 0 0 [::]:domain [::]:* LISTEN apparently and can respond to its own queries. I haven't found any decent way of disabling the IPV6 stack other than a kernel option nor have I found a way to enter a hosts entry for the 'all zero' IPV6 address.

It's not IPv6, it's an all zeros hardware address. 00:00:00:00:00:00: in shorthand.

You could try

If you dont want to see these queries, you can easily set SHOW_DNSSEC=false in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf to suppress analyzing them altogether (they will still be happening in the background).

This will remove them from the query log, maybe also from the dashboard. After setting the option, you need to run

pihole restartdns

1 Like

Ah, that explains why nothing I did had any effect. :slight_smile: I have never encountered it before and it looks suspiciously like the zero-shorthand in IPV6 addresses.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.