Tomatousb and pihole not working

My current setup is:

AT&T router setup with port forwarding to my Asus RT-N66U that has installed TomatoUSB shibby.

Pihole is running on a docker in my raspberry pi.

I have pihole up and running and I followed the instructions here and here which are conflicting.

Currently these are my settings. I think this is not working bc the DNS servers that are used the 192.168.2.42 is my raspberry pi while the 192.168.1.254 is my AT&T router. If i remove the automatic and only use static DNS and leave the raspberry pi then it doesn't work as in i can't get to the internet.

Can anyone help? I have now moved pihole to an unraid server with its own IP. I was able to ping inside my unRAID server, and now i get a system error when I try to ping inside my unRAID server. I am not sure what is happening. I can't even download any plugins or dockers. I am just so confused on what is happening with this PiHole. I know it has to be something with this given that If i don't have PiHole then it all works but with PiHole it doesn't work.

@m43894
I am a user of Fresh Tomato and the configuration you have is almost correct, just for a few details:

The configuration of your PiHole is fine by placing the IP of your router.

Now on your router in the Netwurk> Basic> DNS Server section place those of CloudFlare, Google, etc.

In the Avanced> DHCP / DNS section you must enable the boxes:

Use Internal DNS
Prevent DNS-rebind attacks
Intrercept DNS port

Dnsmasq Custom is fine according to the captures. You do the above reboots PiHole and router.

Thank you so very much for the suggestions. I will go and try them when I get home!

I have changed my setup since these screenshots so here it is. I recently changed PiHole to run on unRAID server as it is much faster than a Pi.

From the top:

• Basic > Network > WAN Settings > DNS Server
    • I have 'Manual' and I have my PiHole IP twice (192.168.2.254)
      • Question: Does it make a difference having my address twice?
    • If I use Auto i notice that my DNS switches to still have my Pihole IP first and my AT&T IP (192.168.1.254) second
      • Question: Why does this happen? Do you know?

Second Screenshot:

• All the checkboxes are as is except I do not have populated the Dnsmasq custom configuration box
    • Question: Why do I have to have this? I never understood it.
  • If I would fill the 'Dnsmasq custom configuration' box I would now have it set to 'dhcp-option=6,192.168.2.254' instead of the .42 as that is the old Pi's IP address.

Third Screenshot:

• I have is selected Cloudflare and Google selected.
  • I no longer have unbound installed, so I do not have my gateway (router) IP (192.168.2.1) setup anymore under Custom 1
  • At the bottom i have my router IP setup (192.168.2.1) and 'home.network' as the domain name so that I can get my domain names resolved instead of just having IP addresses. I actually think I need to have something checked down there but as I am recalling this all from memory I can't remember what that checkbox is and I can't see it visually on the last screenshot.

Now based on your suggestions I have some questions:

The configuration of your PiHole is fine by placing the IP of your router.

• Do you mean i leave my router ip of 192.168.2.1 in the Custom 1 field?

Now on your router in the Netwurk> Basic> DNS Server section place those of CloudFlare, Google, etc.

• Do you mean the router or on the pihole settings? I'm confused as i thought you need to have manual on the WAN Settings (since Tomato doesn't have a DNS setting for LAN or at least I can't find it) AND you put your PiHole IP?

You have it setup as you mention above and it all works? It is not slow at all?

ACtually this is the exact settings I have.

Ok, I got everything set up and working. Had to restart some machines for everything to take effect, but it’s running and working well.

Here are the settings I ended up using – seems obvious now that I solved the other issue, but this may help someone else get set up quickly, so here we go:

Under Basic > Network . The DNS 1 and DNS 2 won’t appear until you change DNS Server to Manual .

The IP address of my pi-hole machine was 192.168.1.21 - you should substitute with the ip address of yours, naturally.

Under Advanced > DHCP DNS these are my settings.

On Pi Hole Settings > DNS this is what I have.

So far so good. I’m most pleased with the in-app ad blocking on my phone… :relieved:

RamSet

I can switch the DNS server to Manual then have these options:
WAN%20DNS

This would be the correct spot for it.

You want to disable Use internal DNS in the DHCP/DNS server (LAN) page.

There’s another page of Dynamic DNS settings - not sure if that’s relevant?

Nope, has nothing to do with it :slight_smile:

On the Pi-hole device, you seem to have some errors though.

What device do you have this installed on ?