Teleporter appears to fail

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Please ensure that you are running the latest version of the beta code.
Run pihole -up to update to the latest, then verify that the problem still exists before reporting it.

Problem with Beta 5.0:
Fresh install of Pi-hole on Fresh DietPi Buster. Tried to use teleporter from an existing install which appeared to fail.

Processed blacklist (exact) (Error: Failed to prepare statement for blacklist table (type = -1). entries)
Processed blacklist (regex) (Error: Unable to begin transaction for regex_blacklist table. entries)
Processed whitelist (exact) (Error: Unable to begin transaction for whitelist table. entries)
OK

Debug Token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/eem2hae3ob

To clarify the problem - you were able to succesfully export the settings with teleporter, but then when you tried to import them to a different Pi-Hole the error appeared?

Was the existing install of Pi-Hole (from which you exported the lists) a V4.x install?

Yes

Yes - I just selected the tar.gz file and clicked import.

Yes

Pi-hole version is v4.3.2 (Latest: v4.3.2)
  AdminLTE version is v4.3.2 (Latest: v4.3.2)
  FTL version is v4.3.1 (Latest: v4.3.1)

Edit - the following information is incorrect. Apologies for providing an incorrect answer. See correct answer from developer farther down the reply chain.

If you look at the contents of a teleport export from a V4.x and V5.0 install, you will see that are quite different. The V4.x export files are all in text format (which matches the format of the data in V4.x), and the V5.0 export is primarily in json format (which is extracted from the new database) and are not in the same text format.

You cannot import a V4.x teleport export into V5.0, due to the format difference. The existing install would have to be updated to V5.x and then the teleporter export can be used by the other Pi-Hole.

1 Like

That sounds like a major flaw in the upgrade path for users, it may cause a fair amount of agnst although I understand why.

If the upgrade converts the V4 format to V5, could that not be employed by the teleporter?

I took the opportunity to build a new VM on V5 (move from Stretch to Buster in the process) and I'll drop in the new VM at an appropriate time so not an unusual use case I suggest.

Might I suggest that a check on the import be done and an error message that V4 teleporter is not compatible with V5 be returned?

In regard to usability I would suggest the same.

1 Like

Well, yes, the Teleporter v5.0 can of course still read the v4.x format. In fact, the teleporter is fully backwards compatible all the way back to its creation. Well, in theory. You've hit a bug here and I wonder whether this is related to DietPi.

Could you attach the teleporter file you tried to import or send it to me via PM so I can try to reproduce this locally? After looking at the code I think I may have seen what is going wrong, however, I'd like to confirm the fix before pushing this.

1 Like

I doubt it related to DietPi as it just uses the installer (AFAICS) just changes where some of the data is stored I think.

I'll PM the exported file.

That could be a problem if we assume the data is stored where we put it and not where it was moved to.

Ah, assume nothing :grinning:.

Where should it be and I'll check.

Many thanks for the file and sorry for this having taken so long. More code needed to be rewritten than I thought initially. This is now done:

@borpin If you could try it by

pihole checkout web fix/teleporter_legacy_import

and then re-testing the teleporter, that would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

@DL6ER yes that seems to have worked.

How do I get back to the main branch :grin:?

Cheers

1 Like

pihole checkout web release/v5.0

1 Like

Hi

pihole checkout web fix/teleporter_legacy_import

and made a teleporter import afterwards from a pihole Pi-hole Version v4.3.2 Web Interface Version v4.3.2 FTL Version v4.3.1 teleporter export.
Succes but no blocklists where imported! Only 7 out of 23 blocklists
pi-hole-teleporter_2020-01-31_12-20-23.zip (6.0 KB)

DELETE FROM domain_audit
Processed blacklist (regex) (Error: Argument type has to be of type integer (is NULL) entries)
DELETE FROM domainlist WHERE type = 1
Processed blacklist (exact) (60 entries)
Processed static DHCP leases (0 entries)
DELETE FROM domainlist WHERE type = 3
Processed blacklist (regex) (25 entries)
DELETE FROM domainlist WHERE type = 0
Processed whitelist (exact) (34 entries)
OK

The good news
Installed a copy of the existing pihole v4.3.2 and switched to beta as anounced worked for me.
All the 23 blocklist remained in config.
[✓] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database
[✓] Building tree
[✓] Swapping databases
[✓] Flushing DNS cache
[i] Number of gravity domains: 4246981 (3307567 unique domains)
[i] Number of exact blacklisted domains: 60
[i] Number of regex blacklist filters: 25
[i] Number of exact whitelisted domains: 34
[i] Number of regex whitelist filters: 0
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

Fixed.

I checked the code an see that we never imported the adlists in v4.x. Chnaged now.
I'm currently coding "offline" on my phone, so no promises that this actually works... I'll check the code properly when I'm back home. If you don't beat me to it.

Sounds great, thanks.
Just let me know when its ready, and which branch i have to use. Will check for sure afterwards. (git pull gave me "already up to date" for beta 5)

It's still this one. :this:

Pi-hole Version vDev (release/v5.0, v4.3.2-391-ge0b3405) Web Interface Version vDev (fix/teleporter_legacy_import, v4.3.2-362-g6ad2430) FTL Version v4.3.1

importing v4 teleporter file:

[✓] Storing downloaded domains in new gravity database
[✓] Building tree
[✓] Swapping databases
[✓] Flushing DNS cache
[i] Number of gravity domains: 5300966 (3659152 unique domains)
[i] Number of exact blacklisted domains: 83
[i] Number of regex blacklist filters: 29
[i] Number of exact whitelisted domains: 40
[i] Number of regex whitelist filters: 0
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

Unfortunately the GUI shows:

Additional Info:
3 13:09:47 dnsmasq[1648]: failed to load names from /etc/pihole/custom.list: No such file or directory

Is this true? If so, you forgot to check out FTL's beta version as well. Run

pihole checkout ftl release/v5.0
1 Like