Strange PiHole Behavior

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Correct resolution

Actual Behaviour:

Hello! I am attempting to set up PiHole for my home network (duh). I am a brand noob to Pi, but have past experience with Linux, HP-US, AIX, etc. I have a fair if not guru-level understanding of networking. The CLI scares me not.
I have a new Pi 4 B, with Raspbian (buster) on it. PiHole (4.3.1), FTL (4.3.1). Several white and blacklists are appropriately installed. Static IP assigned, ethernet cable to wifi router…. Here’s the issue:

1. Pointing my windows machine (ethernet) with DNS explicitly set to PiHole, everything is fine: Addresses resolve, logging, blocking, caching occurs.
  2. Pointing an Android tablet (wifi) with DNS explicitly set to PiHole, results are mixed: Addresses sometimes resolve, logging does NOT occur, blocking and caching is hit or miss but mostly miss..
  3. Setting PiHole as the DNS server in my netgear R7800 router results in a total loss of DNS. Nothing resolves or logs appropriately, and if I do get any logging, it is all with the Router IP address, not the end client.
    Any ideas on what to try next?
    Thanks

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/4p4htdo6br

Hello @Christopher_Lee,

I to be honest do not know how the Netgear R7800 Router works but maybe I still can be of assistance.

Pi-Hole Config:
Static IPv4 and IPv6 Address - can also be Reserved over DHCP Server (Router)
If Router has own local domain enter it in Pi-Hole under --- Settings -> DNS -> Conditional Forwarding and enter local domain of router: netgear.local (example)
Select propper DNS Service - Personal preferance Quad9 on IPv4 and IPv6 Filtered with DNSsec option active.

Router Config:
DHCP Server setup enter IPv4 and IPv6 Address of Pi-Hole found in Pi-Hole under Settings -> System

That should assign all Network Devices to receive the IP Settings automaticaly with DNS to Pi-Hole -> Test all advanced features with https://internet.nl - Test Connection or Connection test

Result - All options should be green ^^

Another Point can be that you wanted only to use IPv4 but some Internet Connections use DS-Lite and can have a hit or miss result if protocols are disabled. (Or not blocked at the proper place)

Best regards
Val.

I will work on these suggestions.

Keep the router as DHCP server?
Establish a local domain name and provide it to the router and to PiHole?
Establish a static IP6 address in the router assignments that meets the Pihole config?
Use different upstream DNS servers? (I was merely continuing to use opendns that my ISP uses...)

Thank you so much for your help.

Hello @Christopher_Lee

Ill try to answer the questions as best as I can. :smile:

Keep the router as DHCP server?
Yes - Easy Administration of IP-Address of your Network and since the Router is your Gateway its a shorter path.
Establish a local domain name and provide it to the router and to PiHole?
Correct - As I use a AVM Firtzbox it declares its own local domain for connected devices - Do not know If Netgear does the same.
Establish a static IP6 address in the router assignments that meets the Pihole config?
That can be done very easy - Some Routers Issue there own IPv6 Address (Reserve that on the DHCP Server Netgear) Pi-Hole will use that Addres and can be viewed under Settings -> System
Use different upstream DNS servers? (I was merely continuing to use opendns that my ISP uses…)
You can since the build in DHCP Server will issue the DNS Server within the scope setup - If not and that is a Router specific thing you need to change the DNS Settings in the Router itself:

The Resolution path should be:
Device -> Pi-Hole -> Quad9 (Example) Internet -> Server you want to reach.

With the local domain setup (Advanced use of Phone, Smarthome and other IoT Devices)
Like this the name resolution should only be inside your network and on the query list in Pi-Hole should show your local domain.

Sincerely
Val.

OK.... that seems to have done the trick! My workstation and tablet are both resolving. It is taking some time though.

THANK YOU Val!!!!

1 Like

You are Welcome :smiley:

Plz do not forget to mark the post that helped you as a Solution for others that might need it. ^^

Sincerely
Val.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.