Speedtest.net and Fast.com not working PiHole + unbound

The issue I am facing: Unable to access Fast.com and speedtest.net . Fast.com gives an error "Could not reach our servers to perform the test. You may not be connected to the internet". I installed Pi hole and unbound as recursive dns yesterday. Speedtest is stuck on finding optimal server. I checked the query log after loading fast.com and found one item being blocked "ichnaea-web.netflix.com" which I whitelisted but its still not working. I am using the Oisd blocklist in addition to the Steven Black default.

Details about my system: The Pihole + unbound in installed on a raspberry Pi4 on Ubuntu Server 21.04. Its connected to a UDM Pro in the main untagged LAN.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole: Added Oisd blocklist and installed and set up unbound as upstream dns server.

Remove Oisd and try again.

Thanks for your reply.
It is working with Oisd disabled. Also I tried changing the DNS to cloudflare from unbound and it was also working with Oisd enabled. What can be the issue if you can please guide or point to a resource I can go through.
Apart from Oisd what can I add which is considered good. Or will the default list is enough.

many consider the default list to be enough...that's why it's the default. you can blacklist anything you come across that isn't included.

You've likely been observing client-side caching.

DNS records come with a best-before date of sorts, the TTL (time to live).
A client may rightfully cache a successfully resolved domain until its TTL expires, and thus may have had no reason to request DNS resolution again.

I'm also quite confident that Oisd is responsible here, as I have no difficulties accessing the sites you mention (and I am not using that list), regardless of whether I use unbound or my router or a public DNS server as my upstream.

You could consider to whitelist the respective domains blocked by Oisd, where the following post may help:

Thanks will go through this.

Hi,
I am facing the same issue in a different laptop on my network. I have Oisd disabled. As soon as I change my DNS to cloudflare it starts working again. So I think my issue is caused by unbound somehow and I will have to keep it disabled which is a shame because I liked the concept of it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.