Source IP adress

Hi,

Im using PI-HOLE as my primary DNS for home network and all clients. Then DNS requests are forwarded to my router like following :

CLIENT DEVICE => PI-HOLE => LOCAL ROUTER => INTERNET DNS

I would like to setup conditional DNS forwarding like following

CLIENT DEVICE => PI-HOLE => LOCAL ROUTER =>
(CLIENT IP 1) => INTERNET DNS 1
(CLIENT IP 2) => INTERNET DNS 2

My problem is that I cant identify original IP adress of DNS request on my router. All DNS queries seems like their origin is PI-HOLE server, so I can not create DNS rules on my router.

Questions :

• is it somehow possible to keep original client IP adress when DNS is forwarded to router ?
  • if no (as it could be standard behaviour) , is it possible to setup upstream DNS based on client IP source adress ?

Thanks for feedback and help

Thanks , but this mean that I need more PI-Hole servers, each for one client group. My current setup is following :

• Client has IP 192.168.2.100 => OK
  • Client DNS request is send to PI-HOLE server 192.168.2.116 => OK
  • Then DNS request is processed by PI-HOLE and forwarded to local router => OK
  • When I check logs on router , all DNS requests seems like they come from PI-HOLE server 192.168.2.116, not from client 192.168.2.100. But origin of this DNS request is not PI-HOLE server. I would need original source IP adress there , not IP adress of PI-HOLE server.

Im not and expert, Im only wondering if its possible or not.

Thanks anyway.

Will the PI log have the original IP? Maybe send the PI Hole log to syslog?
I posted some details on rsyslog reading a flat file, another dude posted some very cool syslog configs as well. See,

REQUEST: Option to send logs to a remote logserver

In the setup shown in the diagram, the Pi-Hole logs will contain the IP of the clients that made the queries. Pi-Hole keeps a log in /var/log/pihole.log (rotated nightly at midnight) and a long term database in SQL format in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db

Thanks , at the end I have decided to use different approach.

I have created two instances of PI-HOLE DNS servers /LXD virtual machines/ . First as FamilySafe DNS and second for standard use. On router I created PREROUTING rules based on client IP adress.

-- FIRST RULE TO DNS1--
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.2.101 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.150
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.2.101 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.150

-- SECOND RULE TO DNS2 --
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.2.102 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.151
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s 192.168.2.102 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.151

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

This approach is working for me - its not as good as previous one / I need two instances instead of one/, but at least its working and I can set different filtering and upstream DNS servers for each device...

Thanks for your time and help.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.