Some Websites load very slow

Okay, this looks like the bug we've found with some ISPs. They rotate out IPv6 addresses on schedule, sometimes daily, which causes an issue. When you installed Pi-hole, it detected the IPv6 address in use at that time, and that address ended in d00c:5a81 which is the value you'll find in /etc/setupVars.conf. However since that time, your IPv6 address has been changed, to ending in f420:d112, that is what ip addr would show.

The behaviour we would expect from this bug would be that some sites and assets would timeout and cause slow browsing. We are working on a solution for this problem.

1 Like

Okay :slight_smile: many thanks to your help!
So, the Pi-Hole should work normal when I update the IPv6 address by myself in the SetupVars.conf File?
I'm not a Pro in Coding but when you say that the Pi-Hole setup detects the Actual IPv6 adress, isn't it possible to make a simple script that would update that File one ore two times a day?

If you update the setupVars.conf and then run pihole -g to pull in those changes immediately. The problem with the cron approach and scripting is that if the IPv6 address changes and the script doesn't run until 6 hours later, then you have 6 hours of timeouts and the issue becomes troubleshooting a transient condition. There is the option of using hooks to check when the IP changes, but that's getting deeper into a users system than most would like us to go. It's also a regional issue, here where I live, my IPv6 allocation hasn't changed in over a year, and DT sounds like they change once a day. Hitting yet another moving target.

So there is a possibility of a script that maybe could fix my Problem at least a little bit. Even it would check and update my IP in 6 hours, it would help me more as would never do that. Is it hard or complicated to make such a script?

I just wanna give a quick feedback of what I have done now. As we talk earlier in this thread, I updated the IPv6 Adress in the setupVars.conf File and run the command pihole -g. From this point and i don't know why, every site works perfect even when the IPv6 Adress changes and doesn't get updated by hand.
So maybe this could help someone to :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think I'll be pointing a few users to this thread to see if they have the same experiences and can solve the problem with the same results!

1 Like

I had the same experience, found this thread searching for a solution, and the above IPv6 address change appears to have resolved my issue too. (Note that /etc/setupVars.conf is actually /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf.)

So, my steps were:

1. SSH into the Pi Hole server
  2. Run ifconfig to get the IPv6 address (global, not local)
  3. sudo nano /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
  4. Change IPV6_ADDRESS to the address from step 2
  5. Run pihole -g
  6. Log into routers settings
  7. Update the IPv6 DNS server to the new address
  8. Restart the Pi Hole server
  9. Restart the router
  10. Joy

In addition, I'm using Apple's latest AirPort/TimeCapsule, and my Pi 3 is wired to the back of it with Wi-Fi disabled, incase those details are helpful to anyone else.

2 Likes

Thank you for this, I had the same Problems for the last few Days and it seems my IPv6 Adress changed. I did it like JJJ suggested and everything works now again.

FYI: I could see that something was wrong because no IPv6 Adresses would show up in the Query Log.

We are currently investigating a separate approach, that is using ULA addresses instead of GUA addresses. At least with the ISP Deutsche Telekom, this seems to solve the issues we are seeing with frequently changing IPv6 GUA addresses.

1 Like

I have two Global IPv6 addresses one with /64 and one with /128 at the end. which one did you use?

I'm not sure what your /128 address might be, but you should probably take the /64 subnet address.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Looks like I had other issues, my wife's MacBook and one of my Raspberry Pi's were fighting for the same IP address, to the point that the MacBook's host name was that of the Pi. Fixed that, then I started looking at my WiFi signal, the Mbps was extremely low on upload and download streams even though I'm in the same room with the cable modem. I live in an apartment and have to change WiFi channels periodically. I put my iMac back on an ethernet connection and everything improved, some sites like slashdot and linux.com still hesitate, but load much faster on a wired connection, of course. I'm going to keep tinkering around on my my wife's MacBook and my Linux laptop to see if I can improve anything on WifFi connected machines.

I just wanted to add to this - me too.

My ISP is BT in the UK which has a very large market share so this would also affect a lot of users in the UK.

Following along with all the above. I'm seeing some slow load times for some pages. Not sure what's up yet. I don't have an IPv6 address assigned, so that's probably not my issue? Also, I'm taking a stab at running this on debian on google cloud vs. my rpi. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Make sure your port 443 rejects traffic instead of dropping it.

Thanks for the response. Where should be be rejected specifically? For the redirects that go back to the lighttpd instances?

Use iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 443 -j REJECT
1 Like

Thanks. That does make sense. However, I configured lighttpd and the admin service to use HTTPS. I have a habit of securing connectivity, especially when transmitting passwords. But I see where you're going, so I'll do some digging on options. Thanks again!

If port 443 isn't dropping traffic, then it should be fine.

I've been reading up on iptables lately, would multiple rules for 443 be beneficial?

-i is input versus -o for output?