Some sites load very slow when using pi-hole as DNS

Debug token: pfpdgh14ku

For me, pi-hole seems to make some sites load very slowly. The symptom is that some sites will be a blank white page for quite a while (what feels like an entire minute or two, I haven't timed it) and eventually the site will load. Other sites load almost instantaneously. I'm not sure what makes the difference, but if I bypass pi-hole, the issue is fixed for all sites.

One example is this:

I have been Googling for this issue and I have found several sites. I hate to post yet another topic about this (as I've seen several topics complaining about some sites loading slow) but none of the information has helped me. One example that comes up is adding firewall rules for HTTPS, which I've done, but don't help unfortunately. Right now, everything is set to ACCEPT when it comes to iptables, but I did try the rules that were mentioned in various articles. I also tried updating the OS as well as pi-hole, and also updating the lists. Nothing has resolved this so far.

Thank you, but as I mentioned, I already Googled and read articles regarding this issue. The article you posted is one of the ones I've already read. IPv6 doesn't apply to me, and I already tried the firewall rules. Unfortunately, that didn't solve it. :frowning:

You're not using it with Pi-hole but is it enabled on your network and devices?

I haven't disabled IPv6. The thing is, all these sites work perfectly fine if I bypass pi-hole, so I would think if there was an IPv6 issue I would always see the problem.

What does sudo ip6tables -L show as the running configuration?

sudo ip6tables -L:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

It looks like either the ip6tables rules have not been applied, or they haven't been saved and the Pi-hole has been rebooted.

You're correct, the firewall rules were not saved. I did try the rules mentioned in the article, but since it made no difference, I didn't save them.

Can you please run pihole -d and get us the debug token, and while that is running, try visiting a site that shows the delay so that we can try to trap what domains are being queried and what record types are queried. Also, before this is run please flush and DNS caches.

Debug token: ul76obp5h1

Also, before I ran that, I re-applied the firewall rules to test again. It made no difference but I'm not sure if that affects that debug token at all. Thanks!

There looks like some queries for AAAA (IPv6 service) records. On a client device, can you look to see if they have IPv6 addresses? Where I can see a problem is if clients are IPv6 enabled, and they are redirected to the Pi-hole to replace ad elements while the Pi-hole has IPv6 disabled, then they will end up timing out instead and will give you a delay as the page is rendered.

1 Like

The client in this case is an iPhone that is connecting via WiFi, if that makes a difference. It currently has an IPv4 address from my router.

I encountered issues again today, so I have bypassed my pi-hole and I'm using DNS from my local router instead. It's working perfectly without the pi-hole. I'll be more than happy to test anything to figure out this issue, but it's completely clear to me that something isn't quite right specific to the pi-hole.

Is it just the iPhone you are having issues with?

The iPhone is the only device I use it with.

So AFAIK, there is no way to adjust IPv6 settings on iOS devices. It's possible and likely that if your network has it enabled, the iPhone will try to use IPv6. And if you're not using the ULA or appropriate firewalls, you may see slowdowns.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I configured my laptop (Ubuntu 17.10) to use my pi-hole for DNS, and I was immediately able to reproduce this issue so it looks like it's not limited to my iPhone. This laptop was having no issues until I configured it to use pi-hole.

Are you able to disable IPv6 to see if the issue goes away?

Any chance you changed the devices static IP after you configured Pi-hole? I've seen slow page loads caused by Pi-hole not serving the block page because the DNS entry for the device being wrong.