Some Newbie questions - mysql, civ, cluster

Good Morning,
I stumbled upon pi-Hole last week, set it up and found it really useful, even that useful that I think about replacing my DNS caching server with this one. Nevertheless I am thinking about some functions I didn't really find but which might have been part of the conversation:

1. Since I have a pretty large network for a simple 3 person household (>75 IPs) my internal DNS server is somewhat critical because I do not want anybody to use any other DNS than that I provide. Therefore I also think about setting up a Pi Cluster to have some more fault tolerance - Anybody in the forum that used it already in this way and which kind of cluster sw for Pi are you using?

2. I would like to export the logs, import them into MySql and then flush the logs to get more analytics on the DNS queries and the use of my internet breakout. Is there a solution in place for this?

3. Collective Intelligence Framework is something I used to work with to collect threat intelligence feeds and blocking malicous transactions. I would find it useful to import CIF feeds into pi-hole because it then not only blocks ad- sites but any known malicious domains. Is there a solution for this in place?

kind regards
Joerg

I have Pi-hole running in an enterprise environment (about 80 individuals, even more devices, more than one IPv4 subnet).

I have two Raspberry Pi's running here (two physical devices). They are configured as the two DNS servers to be used so if one of them fails, all requests will be taken by the other one.
One is a NanoPi NEO (currently running as test device) and an old Raspberry Pi B+. Yeah, I know what people think about the RPi v1, but it is still beefy enough for serving a lot of clients. I'd even happily let another 100 devices query it.

We are working on this, but it is going on behind the scenes and not yet in state that is close to be usable.

No, but I read on their webpage that they publish "daily feeds". If you have more information and suggest to include them in Pi-hole (even if only optional), then I suggest to open a Feature Request, so it is voteable by users:

@DL6ER... happy to help with the mySql import effort if that is something you would like.

Since this post we've introduced long term stats using SQLite: Pi-hole v3.2 Introduces Long-term Statistics, An Audit Log, Colours, and More! – Pi-hole

1 Like