[Solved] Unbound not installing without PiHole

I have been trying to install unbound on a fresh headless raspbian buster setup after installing Adguard Home in it. I already tried with the latest PiHole and it worked great. That is why I did a fresh raspbian buster install and then installed Adguard home and installed unbound after that.

Every time I run sudo apt install unbound I get the following error:

Setting up unbound (1.9.0-2+deb10u1) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/unbound.service → /lib/systemd/system/unbound.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/unbound.service.wants/unbound-resolvconf.service → /lib/systemd/system/unbound-resolvconf.service.
Job for unbound.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status unbound.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Job for unbound.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status unbound.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript unbound, action "start" failed.
● unbound.service - Unbound DNS server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unbound.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-05-22 15:28:06 +06; 56ms ago
     Docs: man:unbound(8)
  Process: 844 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/unbound/package-helper chroot_setup (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 848 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/unbound/package-helper root_trust_anchor_update (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 854 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/unbound -d $DAEMON_OPTS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 854 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u4+rpi1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10+rpi1) ...

I reformatted my SD Card 3 times. First time I disabled IPV6 and assumed it caused the error.
2nd time I created a new user and thought that was the problem. Third time I left everything untouched and just installed Adguard on it and still I got this error.

I didn't get this error when I installed Unbound after installing PiHole v5. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this issue?

I believe you'll have better luck getting an answer on the Adguard support forums ...

1 Like

So after I created the conf file and used a different port than 5335, I rebooted the Pi and now Unbound seems to be working.

I don't know why it show errors during the setup process. I am assuming it is working by doing the DNSSEC validation test. For now this problem is solved.