Smart devices no longer function

Expected Behaviour:

Various smart devices should be recognized on network at all times, function properly after Pi device is shutdown and available to third party software such as Home Assistant.

This is an issue I've only experienced under v5, previously all devices appeared functioning on my network tables but now devices (2 smart sockets, 2 Alexa devices and a smart powerstrip) that do not have the ability to set static IP addresses within the limits of their own software are no longer fully reachable, become unreachable once Pi is shutdown and sometimes unreachable to Home Assistant.

-Raspberry Pi OS
-Pi3B+
-DHCP Server Enabled

Actual Behaviour:

Smart devices once pinged or scanned with a LAN scan do not appear available, no longer appear available or 'active' on gateway routers network table. Once Pi is shutdown some internet functions remain active and others do not, internet becomes unavailable despite gateway router having secondary DNS active.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/m6tifchjom

First, your IPv6 is not working:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] webbaoviet.com is fddc:d916:a734:db00:23b:9c3c:9cde:2ca0 via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve webbaoviet.com via Pi-hole (fddc:d916:a734:db00:23b:9c3c:9cde:2ca0)
[✗] Failed to resolve doubleclick.com via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

Next, you have some external modifications that are not Pi-hole:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    SPEEDTEST_MODE=python
    SPEEDTESTSCHEDULE=4
    SPEEDTEST_SERVER=
    SPEEDTEST_CHART_DAYS=7

Next, you have set the lease time for DHCP clients to be infinite:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 488 Jul 24 13:14 /etc/dnsmasq.d/02-pihole-dhcp.conf
   dhcp-authoritative
   dhcp-range=192.168.1.180,192.168.1.200,infinite
   dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.1.1
   dhcp-leasefile=/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases
   domain=lan

Why are you shutting down the Pi and thus disabling the DHCP server? Once the Pi-hole is down you will have no way for clients to know hostnames.

Having a "secondary" DNS does not mean it's a fallback.

How can I fix the IPv6 issue?

I set to infinite just as a means of testing configurations, it was previously set at 12 hours.

Pi is connected to my NAS which shutdowns at night, I thought if the devices had static IPs set locally there wouldn't be an issue of resoling hostnames, I guess I am wrong.

So what can I do to improve my setup? I have already moved the Pi to be powered by the router which stays one.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.