Setting up PiHole behind a modem and a router in AP mode

Hi everyone,
I recently installed my pihole only to discover that the modem-router my ISP provided does not let me configure a DNS. All is not lost though, because I am using my own router (currently in Access Point mode) and I think it is possible to still connect the pihole and make it work (without having to configure a custom DNS on all my devices).
If I am not mistaken, the piholew would need to be setup as a DHCP, is that correct? Is that really the best way to make it work or do you guys see a different alternative? I created the below overview, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you and best regards
zyl

I think this would work but would probably require you to have the AP setup as a seperate subnet. In that case the AP could still act as a DHCP server for that subnet if you wanted or turn that off and use the pi as DHCP. Its been a while since I've messed with an AP so I could be mistaken.

Would it also work if I reconfigure the R7000 to be a router, instead of an AP?
Turn off DHCP on ISP Modem, reconfigure R7000 to router and then configure the R7000 to use the Pihole as DNS?

I think you could have it in router mode and keep the ISPs routers setting as is ( with wifi off per your drawing ). You would just need to have the seperate subnet. So the ISP would be, as example, 192.168.1.1/24 and the R7000 could be 192.168.2.1/24. Setup the R7000 with the proper DNS settings ( pointiing to pihole ) and R7000 could still act as DHCP server. It would be like having your ISPs all in one as just a modem and the R7000 as a wifi router. You may or may not need to tweak the R7000s gateway to point to the ISPs router ( 192.168.1.1 in my example ).

okay, and then the pihole would just be connected to the switch right?

Correct. Pi would connect to the 7000. You would set up DNS on the 7000 to point to the PI etc. Just like it was your normal router.

I set up everything and it seems to be working fine. I do, however, only have a very limited number of active users: it seems that there are no queries coming from all other devices (with the exception of the router (11k+ requests, the pihole itself and 127.0.0.1).
All other IPs have not sent a request. Is that due to the fact that all the traffic goes through from the router through the pihole? I am a bit confused as to why it would be displayed in the Network Overview of the web interface?
Here is my debug log:
Debug Token

I have no means of looking at the debug stuff but this should work.

When you set up the 7000 and plugged the pi into it did you change the static IP of the PI to the new routers ip range?

Does the 7000 show active clients connected to it now? I assume so.

What does a nslookup pi-hole.net look like? might want to do that on the pi and a client.

Just to be cleear: I plugged the pihole into the Zyxel switch and not directly into my router. The R7000 router sees the Pihole though and lists it as a connected device (and with the correct IP).

Can I do a nslookup on the PI via the web interface somehow?

When I do the nslookup to pi-hole.net from my PC it gives me the following:
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Unauthorised response:
Name: pi-hole.net
Address: 3.18.136.52

You want the all clients and the pihole using the R7000 with the R7000 acting as the DHCP server. The R7000 has to have a different IP range than the Zyxel. As an example, The Zyxel has an IP range of 192.168.1.1/24 you can make the R7000 192.168.2.1/24. You will have to set a static IP or DHCP lease reservation for the PI on the R7000 and then use that new IP address to point the R7000s DNS settings to the PI.

The only client the Zytel should see is the R7000.

Its best also if the Zyxel can be placed in bridge mode but If I recall from your previous posts it doesn't allow you to make alot of changes. In bridge mode I believe you would have to cable to R7000 to the Zyxels WAN port.

I'm attaching an article on bridgemode as well. It will do a good job explaining the concept.

I think there is a misunderstanding: The Zyxel is just a switch, not a router, and was not provided by the ISP.

• The modem/router from the ISP is the component that cannot be configured and it only has the R7000 as a client.
  • All wireless components are connected to the R7000.
  • Every wired connection in my home LAN, however, is connected to the Zyxel switch - including the R7000. But it is my understanding that the switch just "passes on" the traffic, it does not change or route anything.

Does the above make sense? I hope it clarifies some things and why I do not think that your proposal would work out.

I did misunderstand. Ihad the zxytel as the ISPs router. As long as there is nothing inbetween the ISPs equipment and the R7000 then setting it up as a seperate network or, best solution, set the ISP to bridge mode, plug the R7000 into the Wan port of the ISPs equiment and treat it a normal router. I wish I had extra gear to playwith. Good luck to ya. wish I could have been better help.

You were of great help, thank you!
You helped me set it up and it is working with all my devices doing what they are supposed to do. I searched the forum for the issue I am having and found this:
Thread
It describes exactly what I am experiencing and gives a few pointers to potential solutions. Thank you and all the best

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.