Setting Device DNS settings as the Pi not using upstream DNS

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

The Pi has been set up, and blocking works on the Pi, and all devices connected to the same network as the Pi with the Pi set as the DNS

Actual Behaviour:

Blocking works on the Pi, but does not work on devices connected to the same network with the Pis static IP set as their DNS.

I have a Pi with Pi hole set up. The Pi has a static IP, it is using wlan0

The Pi is connected via WiFi to the Router. The router is shared by multiple people in the house so I dont want to set the Pi as the DHCP; Instead I am changing the DNS used on the Device when connecting to the router.

The issue im having is that the Devices with the DNS set to be the same as the Pi's static IP are not using the upstream DNS, and are instead still using the ISPs DNS.

Blocking is working on the Pi when checking Chromium, but blocking is not working for any Device with the Pi set as its DNS.
Although devices with the Pi set as the DNS are able to access the dashboard via IP/admin though not by pi.hole/admin.

What should my next steps be to figure out this issue?

Any help is appreciated

Antoher question:
Should the default gateway shown on my routers admin page, be the same as the one the Pi is set up with? (In my case they are different, but changing the Pis Default gateway breaks any connection on the device connected to the Pi)

I have tried changing the DNS on Windows 10 and on android. Both behave the same, with dnsleaktest showing still using ISP DNS even though i can access the pi hole dashboard from both of these devices

Debug Token:

boqshngaby

My issue was that IPv6 was enabled on my Router. Even though I had set Pi Hole to only use an IPv4.

I was able to get my Windows 10 laptop to work with the IPv6 settings from Pi Hole, but was unable to get my Android phone to work unless IPv6 was disabled.

So my solution was to disable IPv6 in the router settings and only use IPv4 and setting the DNS manually on my Android and Windows 10 devices.

Are you sure you need to set them manually even after disabling IPv6?

Hi, Sorry I should have clarified that I was setting IPv4 manually after disabling IPv6. Not continuing to set IPv6.

I wasnt able to easily manually set IPv6 on android, even though my router was assigning an IPv6 to my device. Hence why disabling that and only using IPv4 which I could set was necessary.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.