Setting chache to 0 crashes dns

when i set cache-size=0 and restart the dns it crashes
in the doku DNS cache - Pi-hole documentation stand that i can set it to 0 to disable it

i want to disable it but dont know how

What do you want to accomplish by disabling the cache?

I also set my cache-size=0 in /etc/pihole/01-pihole.conf. I have unbound on the same system, unbound caches, no need to have pihole-FTL do the same. As @wuast94 mentioned, the dnsmasq manual indicates this is a valid configuration:

-c, --cache-size=<cachesize> 
Set the size of dnsmasq's cache. The default is 150 names. Setting the cache size to zero disables caching. Note: huge cache size impacts performance.

I have been running this for a while now, ever since the discussion about proxy-dnssec, never had any problems with pihole-FTL.

Only since the latest release of pihole-FTL (today - , FTL version is vDev-fb01e09), I've experienced crashes, see here and here.

as @jpgpi250 mentiond i have unbound and no need for caching in pihole. beside that caching in pihole is distorting my stats in grafana.

Removed the question tag on this thread, rating the best answer in an ongoing discussion seems useless.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.