I'm using docker, but I don't think it's docker-related:
In my /etc/pihole (which I map as a volume) I'm getting this:
dns-servers.conf GitHubVersions gravity.db list.0.raw.githubusercontent.com.domains list.1.mirror1.malwaredomains.com.domains list.2.s3.amazonaws.com.domains list.3.s3.amazonaws.com.domains localbranches local.list localversions migration_backup pihole-FTL.conf pihole-FTL.db setupVars.conf setupVars.conf.update.bak
- Some of this seem to be configs -> dns-servers.conf , setupVars.conf
- Some seem to be data which could be recreated on restart: list.0.raw.githubusercontent.com.domains, ...
- gravity.db seems to mix data like adlist (can be recreated, expect this to be downloaded?) and whitelist/blacklist (more like a user-config, since it's nothing you download from somewhere)
I would expect that:
- configs are in etc
- downloaded (black)lists are in a var-folder (or something similar)
- gravity.db is split somehow in a db which can be recreated (adlist) and a part which is solely for storing whitlists/blacklists (or other user-information)
What's the purpose on this
- I'm commiting my local docker-configs with git
- I would only commit real configs
- files that can be recreated by downloading, would go on a volume (which isn't backed up)
- whitelists/blacklists would be saved as "service-data" daily backed-up ...