Seeing ads new Pi-hole install

I just setup pihole. During installation, there were just 2 blacklists as opposed to 10s of them in months old video guides (may be from pihole 4x). The pihole web interface shows 100s of requests being blocked. But I see all the usual ads on every site. Nothing seems to be blocked.

With the two default adlists, you should not see many ads. YouTube and Facebook are exceptions. These tolls can help you determine the source of the ads:

You will want to ensure the client on which you are seeing the ads is using Pi-hole for DNS.

From a client that you believe should be connected to the Pi-Hole for DNS, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

Also, please post the token generated by

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

1 Like

I got it. Somehow 8.8.8.8 was hardcoded in my client I was using. I changed that to "Obtain DNS Server address automatically".

yeah nslookup pi.hole gives me the ip address of the rpi 2b box I setup pihole in.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.