Scheduled jobs in settings

I'd like to have a another tab in settings for scheduled (cron) jobs.
I've seen this in openmediavault and it's pretty handy for CLI noobs.

How often or why do you have to change the settings in /etc/cron.d/pihole?

This would most likely be feature creep as far as Pi-hole is concerned. Any given tool should do one thing, and do it well. And Pi-hole is not a general system management tool, but an ad blocking DNS server, so I don't see what managing cron jobs would add to the software

Might I suggest looking into Webmin for what you are after?

1 Like

I'm a user and allowed to raise wishes, am I ? :slight_smile:

In openmediavault (NAS) you can set cronjobs and also start them manually. This is a nice feature for testing updates, cleans and so on.

It's not a matter of "how often" but it makes the software more convinient and user friendly.

Hi PromoFaux,

i will look into that. Thanks for the hint.

Pi-hole is much more critical and central to your network than openmediavault. Assume an automated update goes wrong on openmediavault. The system may fail. It will not be too bad, in the end, it will just not be available.

On the contrary, assume something fails in Pi-hole. When this manages to take down DNS resolution ability, the entire Internet will be broken. Nobody in your network will be able to do anything online. I can already hear much louder complains about such a thing :slight_smile:

@PromoFaux Can I down vote a feature request? If I cannot do it myself, please do it for me. I think this is very dangerous.

I've marked it as out of scope. Ultimately all FRs are considered, and if they do not fit within the scope of the project then we will close them. No matter how many votes any given FR gets, we are not beholden to implement it. But allowing people to submit FRs can sometimes yield good results and offer views of the software that we have not yet thought of.

This is very wise. You are a great team. All of you.

1 Like

hey guys,

I'm wondering how my wish request is "voted down".
This is an open platform and everybody should be free and invited to input their requests and wishes.

If you disagree my request I'm fine with it if you describe the disadvantages as I'm able to fully read and understand your arguments but a "vote down" is just arrogant.

I also appreciate the team performance but on specific users I doubt any competence in social competences.

1 Like

With my developer hat on:

There is no physical mechanism here to down vote a request. But I, as a core developer on the project, have closed it as out of scope (as in, we won't be implementing it) for my reasons given above - regardless, thank you for making a suggestion.

The person that mentioned voting down (again, just a term they used not an actual thing they can do) also gave an argument against it.

With my moderator hat on:

Please all be reminded to be agreeable even when you disagree with someone. This is an open forum for discussion, this category is particularly for openly discussing the pros and cons of certain ideas.

As mentioned above:

There are no bad ideas - there are just good ideas and those that don't get implemented.

2 Likes

Of course you may share your ideas, suggestions and open requests here :+1:

The only reason for my question was why you think that your proposal is or could be a good and useful extension to Pi-hole, where you see a benefit. So, had absolutely nothing to do with voting against it :slight_smile:

My answer war not related to your reply, mibere.
This was a valid question and not a "vote down".

From my perspective user wishes and even thought should be always welcome. Pi hole is at least a product which deserves a broader target group (yes, thats marketing speech) and and extended web interface (with e.g a regular/expert mode) could satisfy a lot more people than just CLI Linux users or suppose to be ones. Best examples are some big brands which in the end just listened to "normal people" to create and developed hero products in their garage.

So...let close up this thread. In the end the developers will decide if this "product" remains a niche for techies or raises up to be a star.

Good luck and .. I really like it, I even recommend but nobody can install it.

Yeah, none of the 20k clones of the project the last few days worked either I guess. We're an absolute failure?!?!

Your request was evaluated and was not implemented. This is not unusual. Pi-hole is not intended to be a front end for operating the Linux system or managing dnsmasq settings.

Nobody is not using Pi-hole because they can't schedule crons from the web interface, nor because there is not an uptime indicator, etc.

OK, I think everything that can be said has been said here. It's been fun, folks but time close the thread.

Be excellent to one another