Running two Pi-Holes at the same time / Replacement + Setup

I want to rebuild my pi.hole on a new, separate RasPi 4.

• Since the new pi.hole will use different IP addresses as the currently running one, I should be able to set it up while the current pi.hole on the RasPi 3 is still running and serving DNS requests during the setup and configuration phase of the new pi.hole on RasPi 4.

• There will be no conflicts by doing so? Except I need to SSH to the IP address or hostname.

• Since both devices will be avail at the the default pi.hole name, that's the only conflict I can think of while building the new one.

Once the new Pi-Hole at new IP v4+v6 is ready for use in the production system, I simply replace the DHCP propagated DNS Servers in the server to the newly build system?

Are these assumptions correct for the purpose of replacing the Pi-Hole Server device without conflicts?

Yes to the two first bullet items.
The third (pi.hole) could be addressed by configuring PIHOLE_PTR (available since FTL v5.10.1) on at least one of the machines, but wouldn't lead to immediate issues if left as is, apart from ambiguity when accessing Pi-hole's UI from the new device while both RPIs are active.

Yes, plus the equivalent for DHCPv6 and RAs, provided your router supports those IPv6 related configuration options.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.